Behind the Scenes: Seussical the Musical

Candace Ro, News Editor

Theater has diligently practiced singing, choreography, and acting to host Seussical the Mussical. Tickets are $5 for students and $8 for adults and is available to watch on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night at 7 p.m. Here is a behind-the-scenes look at the cast’s rehearsals.

h2

The group stretches before choreography practice.

The cast enjoys pizza before their first dress rehearsal.

Julia Finnigan (11) Character: Gertude
How do you relate to your character?
Gertude tends to overthink everything she does and I also tend to tense up and be awkward around people I idolize. She’s a really fun character to play because I understand her.
How has theatre helped you grow as a person?
Last year I was not a major character, but this year I get the feel more confident on the stage and in my character through singing in this type of show. It’s different from the classical type of singing I do in choir.

Sierra Turcotte (12) Character: Sour Kangaroo (Main Antagonist)
How do you relate to your character?
We are both the type to take charge and be adamant. My vocal type is very strong and so when I sing it’s very powerful and loud, and that’s why the character is a good fit for me.
I learned that it’s okay to speak your mind and you can’t live apathetically. I also learned what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. One day of goofing off in here has just changed my life. I discovered that I have a very large capacity for people and to love people.

Angus Deveaux (12) Character: Mayor of Whoville
How do you relate to your character?
I can totally relate to the Mayor of Whoville because if I had a son, like my character does, I would want what’s best for him, my family, and my friends.
I have grown to love theater a lot and have definitely grown closer to the people around me. I made a lot of new friends and I’m very glad that I decided to join. Theater has given me the opportunity to realize my musical talent and encouraged me to explore those talents. Theater people are some of the best and kindest people I have ever met. If you are thinking about joining theater, please do not hesitate.

Gisela Factora (12) Character: Horton the Elephant
How do you relate to your character?
A lot of people probably think that it’s weird that I’m trying to relate to an elephant. But being an animal is actually secondary to the plot. He’s trying to do his best to help people and a lot of things go wrong for him, and I think everyone can find that a little relatable.
I have been in theater since I was a freshman and it has shaped who I am in a very big way. It taught me how to talk to people and empathize. Doing Seussical has taught me how to work with other people and teach new members of theater.

Lara Monti (10) Character: Jojo
How do you relate to your character?
He’s very adventurous and he’s all up in his head. He’s also independent and stands out among his peers. Every other character has bright colors associated with them, but Jojo is all gray and black. I can play his character really well because when I was little no one understood me and I can be in my own world. When I first watched “Horton Hears a Who” and was introduced to his character, I just thought, ‘that’s me.’
I’ve been in theater for six or seven years because I’m an on-screen actress. Overall, I just love being on stage and do whatever I want and not be judged. I love all the characters in this play and all their stories.

h1 h3 IMG_2996IMG_3064 IMG_3111 IMG_3136 IMG_3139 IMG_3183 IMG_3192 IMG_3198 IMG_3248 IMG_3268 IMG_3308 IMG_3311 IMG_3330 IMG_3392 IMG_3404 IMG_3405 IMG_3421 IMG_3429 IMG_3456 IMG_3458