Deadpool Kills the Superhero Mold

Mina Jang, Staff Writer

Known to be one of the first films based on a Marvel character to be rated-R for its sexual content and language, “Deadpool” is not your typical Marvel superhero movie. After reading the comics and hearing the extremely positive hype for “Deadpool”, I, an avid fan, was excited to watch the movie like the many others who had waited for so long to see it.

“Deadpool” is based on anti-hero Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) who is better known as his alias Deadpool, a fictional Marvel comic book character. Wilson was trained to be an assassin and was a former Special Forces operative, but later on worked as a mercenary. When  Wilson was diagnosed with cancer, he decided to volunteer in a government-based research lab experiment. However, Wade was tortured as a subject by mutant scientist Francis Freeman a.k.a. Ajax and his sidekick Angel Dust, and while Wilson does gain super-healing factors that cure his cancer, his body and face are immensely scarred. Therefore he wears a red and black body suit and mask to hide his damaged skin. During the film, Deadpool’s main goal is to save his girlfriend Vanessa Carlysle (Morena Baccarin) from Ajax (Ed Skrein) and get revenge on him at the same time.

What makes Deadpool different from other superheroes and villains is that Deadpool is aware that he is a fictional character and breaks the fourth wall, meaning the character ignores the imaginary “wall” that separates the actors from the audience. It may also be part of the reason why “Deadpool” is more entertaining for audiences, as he interacts and talks to the screen multiple times, making fun of almost every person he meets.

Yet, the main reasons why I enjoyed the movie were because of its crude humor, sarcastic remarks, the music, and Marvel Easter Eggs, which are references and cameos from the Marvel Universe. “Deadpool” got me laughing from the opening credits, where instead of the actors’ names, it listed characters for the superhero genre; some that were included were “the hot chick,” “the comic relief,” “a CGI character,” “a moody teen” and “a gratuitous cameo.” Since all these character genres appear in almost every superhero movie, it was hilarious to finally see a movie mocking itself for having the same kind of roles as every other superhero film. Deadpool’s comments on other characters like nicknaming Negasonic Teenage Warhead as Ripley from “Alien 3” because of her shaved head made me happy, considering Ellen Scott from the “Alien” franchise is one of my favorite heroines.

What made it fun for Marvel fans like myself were the dozens of little bits of superhero references, such as Stan Lee’s cameo or Wade’s request for the super suit: “And please don’t make the super suit green. Or animated!” This was said because Ryan Reynolds played Green Lantern in the movie “Green Lantern”, which did horrible in the box office and was reacted to negatively by critics. Another set of references was the time when Colossus asks Deadpool to come talk to professor Xavier and Deadpool replies, “McAvoy or Stewart? These timelines can be so confusing.” This goes back to the two different actors who play professor Xavier in the “X-Men” franchise: Patrick Stewart who plays Xavier in the original trilogy and James McAvoy who is in the newest X-Men films. I enjoyed the scene of Deadpool casually asking two of the X-Men characters, Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, for help, because it feels like a superhero can’t even ask another superhero for help unless they’re in the same movie. For example, while the Avengers are a band of heroes who are ready to save the world, they won’t even help or contact each other in their own individual movies like in “Thor 2” or “Captain America: Winter Soldier.”

deadpool-spoiler-talk-best-of-and-about-that-end-credits-scene-837830
Deadpool with Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead

While I was happy about the cameos and mentioning of other movies, I got sidetracked on what to focus on as there was an overuse of Deadpool memorabilia that clashed with the main plot. However, the most disappointing factor of “Deadpool” that bothered me was that it was over-marketed. You drive across a street and all the posters plastered to each bus stop window would be Deadpool with his hands in the shape of a heart. You go on Youtube and every advertisement would be about “Deadpool.” All this excitement inside of me just grew more and more, and I pictured it as the one film that was necessary to watch if I wanted to go on in life. But each new trailer and teaser had the same exact scenes replaying over and over again, and when I finally went to go see the movie, the car scene, the joke about the human kabob, the taxi driver’s introduction and some of the best jokes were just boring because they had been replayed so many times. It was like rewatching a T.V. episode; I just want to skip through some parts and since everyone had exaggerated how incredible “Deadpool” was, I walked out of the movie theater thinking, “Is that it?”

Overall, despite its little flaws, “Deadpool” is still a good watch, whether you’re a Marvel fan or not. If you listen to soft rock by Wham! and Peter Cetera, fan-created “Deadpool” songs such as “Deadpool Rap” or perhaps some sweet music by Juice Newton, then go see it. If  you want to hear insults directed towards Liam Neeson’s character in “Taken” and see Hugh Jackman’s face stapled onto another person’s face, then go see it. If you’re just bored and have nothing to do, I recommend you see it. Just remember to wait for the end-credits because “Deadpool” is still a part of Marvel, and that means there’s always a teaser for the next Marvel film in the ending credits.