Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

Erin Eskoff, Staff Writer

There are multiple talented students that wish to pursue a background in the performing arts industry.  One especially gifted student here at West Ranch, Sophie Bobal, has made incredible accomplishments in the acting field.  

With little to no acting experience or classes, she went through the entire casting process and managed to receive the role as the “Tooth Fairy Girl” in the movie Transformers at the age of four.

“It was one of the first auditions I went to. I got cast when I was four and the movie came out when I was five.  After that, I started participating in acting classes from there,” said Bobal.

Being on camera for the first time can be super nerve-racking.  Although Bobal never had this type of professional project, her mother had a background in television so she had an idea of how to behave onscreen.

“My mom is on TV everyday as an anchor for KCAL 9, even though it is really different from acting in movies, I got a lot of tips about being in front of the camera from her” said Bobal.

With hundreds of other girls competing for the same part as her, Sophie had a huge weight on her shoulders.  She might have known how to behave on camera and hit her marks, but aside from some commercials, many of these others little girls had an acting background in similar projects.  Therefore, when it came time to walk into the audition room, Bobal had cold feet.  Throughout her initial audition, she learned that being herself was the best strategy to win over the directors and producers.

“I remember being nervous right before and then, once I went in [the room], I was being myself and they liked me.  It was really cool.  I was in that room for what felt like forever and the casting directors kept asking me questions about me and got to see my personality which was pretty fun,” said Bobal.

Almost immediately, four-year-old Sophie knew she was recognized very highly by the directing staff.  After multiple callbacks, her and one other girl were both given opportunities for a screen test, an opportunity that Bobal enjoyed.

“The screen testing was great, the whole crew was great to work with. Before I was cast, me and the other girl went through the scene a few times, and they would tweak a couple things each time to see exactly how they wanted it to look.  In the end, they decided to use the scene I acted in for the movie,” Sophie stated.

Bobal was glad to get the part of the “Tooth Fairy Girl,” but the other person that was going for the same role became Sophie’s great friend throughout the casting process.  What they failed to realize is that they were competing against each other.

“My parents had to explain to me that I was either going to be in the movie, or the other girl was.  It was hard because her and I ended up becoming good friends and didn’t really know we were competition, but at the end of the day, the directors announced that I was playing the little girl in the movie, which was awesome,” Bobal remarked.

Although she had this fascinating experience, she now is living the life of a normal high schooler.  Bobal is an outside hitter for our girls varsity volleyball team and will be playing for Legacy Volleyball Club on their 17-Elite team, starting this November.  Sophie still loves acting, but now decides to live a relaxed life with her friends and family.

• Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Review

• Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

Fear and the Entertainment Industry: A Match Made in Heaven

• Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

Really, “We Should All Be Feminists”

• Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

Behind the Scenes of Marching Band

• Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

“Freudian”- Track by Track Review

• Arts & Entertainment

Dead Men Tell Boring Tales

• Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

“Everything, Everything” full of every dissapointment

• Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

What’s this? What’s this? There’s music everywhere

• Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

West Ranch Jazz Band performs in last concert of the year

• Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight

Stardust and Prequels: Peter and the Starcatcher

Sophie Bobal Takes On the Spotlight