Maze Runner: Death Cure

Maze Runner: Death Cure

Emily Chang, Staff Writer

“Maze Runner: The Death Cure:” opening night. Everything was planned perfectly. The seats were in the prime position to see Dylan O’Brien’s jawline. The candy and drinks I had smuggled into the theater went undetected, and I was early enough to watch all the trailers beforehand. You could tell everyone around me in the theater was equally as excited. When Dylan O’ Brien first flashed onto the big screen, the theater erupted in cheering. But I guess that’s to be expected when it’s opening night in a theater full of pre-teen girls. (I would be lying, though, if I said I wasn’t cheering along with them.) To no one’s surprise, “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” was like any other action-packed film that didn’t stick to the book at all.

Image provided by Google Images

The movie takes place in a distant dystopian future, where a disease called the Flare is wiping out the human race, turning infected people into zombie-like creatures called Cranks. An organization, WICKED, standing for World In Catastrophe: Killzone Experiment Department, is gathering up people immune to the Flare to observe, torture and test them in order to develop a cure. The movie centers around the main character, Thomas, and other boys that escaped the Maze in the first movie trying to free one guy left behind in WICKED’s clutches, Minho. Thomas as well as another group of anti-WICKED combatants aim to find the Last City, where WICKED’s headquarters and Minho presumably are.

Image provided by Google Images

This movie was exciting on its own, excluding any comparisons to the book. Every scene was action-packed and well-planned. In fact, the opening scene was a daring rescue attempt that definitely set the mood for the rest of the movie. The plot was fairly straightforward: the typical “no man left behind” scenario. I also appreciated how well thought out the apocalyptic scenery was, from the barren wasteland to the sleek WICKED laboratories.

Each actor was spot-on in portraying their character exactly as I had imagined in the books. Ki Hong Lee, who plays Minho, also deserves a mention as he expanded out of his usual “tough guy” role and gave us chilling torture scenes in the WICKED laboratory.

But besides the characters, this movie did not follow the book at all, something avid “Maze Runner” fans like myself are bound to be disappointed about. The movie did hit key milestones found in the book to keep the plot moving, but it was not in the way the book had portrayed it. I had walked into the theater mentally preparing myself for the scene when a character dies, but it came about in a totally different way and caught me by surprise.

While the constant action made the movie exciting, it was not enough to change the fact that the plot itself was dull and unoriginal. I mean, how many “break-into-the-compound” movies have we all seen? Not to mention it was nothing like the book. This movie felt less like a triumphant end to the trilogy and more like a hobble to the finish line.

On its own, “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” is your typical dystopian, action packed film. However, it is completely dissimilar to the book and the plot is far too simple. I recommend that people who have been following the trilogy for a long time watch the movie for closure, but don’t expect the same closure the book gave you.  Overall, I’d give it 3 out of 5 Paws.

Emily Chang, Staff Writer

hi my name is chelsea what's your favorite dinner food?

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

Editorials

The Punk Subculture Emerges at West Ranch

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

Bullet Journaling

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

“Star Wars” Stans are Ruining the Franchise They Love

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

I Went to the Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists Premiere — Here’s My Experience

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists Delivers a Perfect Premiere

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

The Marvelous Captain Marvel

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

Netflix’s ‘BirdBox’: What is it Really About?

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

My Most Anticipated 2019 Movies (Part One)

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

Anything Goes

• Maze Runner: Death Cure

Study Tips to Survive Second Semester

Maze Runner: Death Cure