“The Miracle Season” Movie Review

Erin Eskoff, Staff Writer

After winning the state championship in 2010, the Iowa City West High School girls volleyball team was sure that they would win the next one in 2011.  Right before their season started up again, a tragic accident occurred, leaving the whole team in tears and suffering.

Based off of a true story, Caroline Found, better known as “Line,” was the star setter for the undefeated volleyball squad. Just three short weeks before the start of season, she went to go visit the hospital where her mother, Ellyn, was staying. On her way, she lost control of her moped, struck a tree and died instantly.

Kathy Bresnahan, the former head coach of the volleyball team, needed to find a new setter and captain.  Ultimately, Line’s best friend, Kelley Fliehler was chosen. She struggled through most of the season, but got better with the help of her coach and fellow teammates.

The team wanted to win so bad for Caroline and her family. Doing everything they could, the team went on to battle out for the state championship in honor of their former teammate. Losing two sets in a row, the girls put up a strong fight and took home the state title for the second year in a row.

In “The Miracle Season,” the acting was very believable.  From every crying scene to every match the girls played in, the actors really brought this incredible story to life.   

The area where the actors in the movie struggled was playing actual volleyball.  However, learning how to play the great game in such a short amount of time is very difficult.  For volleyball players in real life, like myself, the mechanics of the girl’s form will stand out because it was evident that they had never played before.

Overall, the story and the way it was told was very inspiring and emotional. It was a very heartfelt movie, that even got me to shed a tear or two. I thought it was so sweet when the directors decided to insert appearances of Caroline’s real-life father, Ernie, and her former coach, Bresnahan, in the movie.

Typically, when a movie is over, nobody sticks around to see the credits. Yet, every single person in the theater watched the ending because the producers added pictures and videos of the real Caroline Found as a memoriam to dedicate this movie to her.  Viewers were able to see some games that Line played in, videos of her with family and friends,and pictures of her on and off the court.

This inspiring true story of an astounding volleyball team still remains as a legacy at Iowa City West High today. Everyone touched by Caroline was inspired to live like her. Today, eight years later, Line’s legacy has passed on throughout the school history and her impact has led many others to support the Live Like Foundation.  This association helps students in Iowa who are financially unstable so they are allowed to participate in school activities. Just like Caroline did in the mere seventeen years she lived, they want everyone to feel included.

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

Snow White and the Black Forest

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

Riverdale Season 2 Review

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

Taylor Swift’s Reputation Tour

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

Band Concert: Spring 2018

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

West Ranch Percussion makes it to WGI World Championships

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

West Ranch orchestra holds annual spring concert

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

“Be the Change” West Ranch Choir Concert 2018

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

6 Tips to Ace Your Finals

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

“Love Yourself: Tear” album review

• “The Miracle Season” Movie Review

“A Quiet Place” Review

“The Miracle Season” Movie Review