Sierra Burgess is a Loser Movie Review

Aerin Choi, Social Media Editor

“Sierra Burgess is a Loser” has all the makings of your classic coming of age rom com: mistaken identity, deception and catfishing.

This new Netflix movie follows a shy, awkward girl named Sierra Burgess that accidentally receives a text from the perfect Jamey and begins to catfish him by pretending to be a popular girl, Veronica. The plot seems like it could possibly be cute, but the execution just didn’t happen as well as I had anticipated.

To be fair, this movie had a lot to live up to as the next Netflix rom com following “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before,” which was a big hit. “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” was released only 21 days after the other teen romance (long before the hype had died down) and starred the same actor, Noah Centineo, as the romantic interest. Needless to say, people were anticipating another movie of the same caliber.

The main problem most people had with the movie was the deception that Sierra performed by pretending she was someone else for the basic entirety of the movie. She even took the lengths to recruit Veronica herself in order to keep up her lie. Towards the end of the movie, Sierra ends up betraying nearly all of her friends and still gets what she wants.

My main problem with the movie was Sierra in general. Even though she was supposed to be the protagonist of the story, she came across as ungrateful for a happy family and just a bad friend. As the movie went on and she kept succeeding, I felt myself rooting against her, and when things didn’t go her way, I didn’t care.

But in the end, she was the protagonist, and she did get her way. Sierra and Jamey end up together despite never actually speaking and sending, probably, a maximum of 50 text messages between them. There’s no believable chemistry between them or any connection to make me believe in their relationship.

In conclusion, this movie was pretty much as cheesy as it could be for a film based around catfishing. It could be seen as cute or romantic if you put aside the lying and deceit. I wouldn’t recommend watching this movie if you’re looking for a cheesy, not too logical rom com. All in all,  I think the real loser was the movie itself.

• Sierra Burgess is a Loser Movie Review

Shane Dawson Questions “The Mind of Jake Paul”

Sounds of the Big Band Era

Why I Deleted Social Media

West Ranch Marching Band Sweeps Their First Competition

Fly Me to the Moon

YouTube: The Future of Advertising

Movies/TV

“Who Is America?”

App Reviews

Kitchen Stories Review

Sierra Burgess IS a Loser

Music

Dodie Clark at The Fonda

Sierra Burgess is a Loser Movie Review