Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Review

Imagine a movie that stars six different Spider-men, including two different versions all called Spider-man, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Noir, Spider-Ham, and last but certainly not the least, Peni Parker and SP//dr. These are just some of the iterations of the Spider-Man Multiverse, but they are the stars of the new hit film, “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.” With a star-studded cast, gorgeous animation and a unique, creative plot, it’s no wonder that this movie is a hit.

Since its premier on Dec. 15, it has generated $327 million internationally and many have already declared themselves big fans. In fact, the film has a 97 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes, which is no easy feat.

Plot

The main Spider-Man of this movie is Miles Morales. Viewers get to watch as he goes through life and eventually gets bitten by a radioactive spider — thereby making him the newest addition to the “Spider-Verse.” All is not what it seems, however. Returning Spider-Man villain Kingpin has created a device to tear a hole through dimensions. In the process, the original Spider-Man of Miles’ dimension gets killed while Miles watches in horror (Note: The downed version of Spider-Man is not one of the six starring in the movie).

While grappling with the death he witnessed as well as his new Spider-Man abilities, Miles gets the shock of his life: Spider-Man is alive.

Wait, what?

No, this new “alive” Spider-Man is actually from another dimension. To prove that he’s different, this iteration even has a different appearance and age from the Spider-Man that was killed. Together, these two Spider-men have to team up with their other counterparts (each from yet another dimension) to stop Kingpin, shut down the device and effectively save the Multiverse. Easier said than done.

This plot is nothing like we’ve ever seen before. Unlike the Spider-Man movies we’ve already seen, this one is truly rooted in the comic books. And that is deliberate: The film has the look, the feel, and even occasionally, the narration of a comic book, setting it apart from any other Spider-Man movies — in fact, from any other superhero movies.

Characters and Casting

With six main characters, each with a unique background and history, it may be expected that the audience’s attention would wander and their interest would decline. But “Into the Spider-Verse” does it right. None of the characters ever have to fight for your attention, and it really only feels like the main character is Miles Morales.

And the minor characters that do hold your attention are every bit as complex and interesting as you’d imagine: They keep you intrigued, but they are rarely, if ever, distracting.

The actors chosen for this movie only enhance their characters’ appeal. With Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld and more, this movie only seems to get better and better.

Effects

Wow, this movie is beautiful. The animation is seamless, the colors are bright but never too intrusive, and the effects are stunning but not over the top. There’s really not much more to say.

Overall, this movie is a great way to spend your weekend. You’d be hard-pressed to find anyone who didn’t enjoy the film. If you’re interested in seeing the movie, it’s in theaters now. Enjoy!

Allison Alben, Design Editor

I like books, movies, dogs, and staying inside.

• Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Review

Editorials

The Punk Subculture Emerges at West Ranch

Bullet Journaling

“Star Wars” Stans are Ruining the Franchise They Love

I Went to the Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists Premiere — Here’s My Experience

Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists Delivers a Perfect Premiere

The Marvelous Captain Marvel

Netflix’s ‘BirdBox’: What is it Really About?

My Most Anticipated 2019 Movies (Part One)

Anything Goes

Study Tips to Survive Second Semester