Horror Movies: Originals vs. Remakes

Vanessa McLaughlin, Staff Writer

The end of September and all through October is usually the time to cuddle in a blanket and watch scary movies. There are favorite Halloween classics made in the 1980s which feature black and white murders and weaponized attacks. Now, remakes are being made which have more complicated sub-plots and better technology. 

How does one choose which movie to watch? “Nightmare on Elm Street,” “Friday the 13th,” “Halloween” and “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” are several of so many horror movie remakes. 

But which ones are better: the classics or the remakes?

“Psycho” (1960) vs. (1998): Alfred Hitchcock’s film is a legend in the world of cinematography because of its twist endings, meta-minded techniques and secrecy, long before spoilers were a thing. 

Gus Van Sant’s 1998 remake walks the path of the original almost exactly. Vince Vaughn playing Norman Bates was really creepy, but Anthony Perkins outclassed him in the 1960 version. 

“The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (1974) vs. (2003): Tobe Hooper’s film was so horrifying that it made people terrified to travel to America’s rural areas. 

Marcus Nispel’s version  was different regarding techniques of film and even character names. Even though it was just as frightening as the original, like most slashers, it has too much gore.

“Halloween” (1978) vs. (2007): The 1978 movie perpetuated the idea that dark, satanic things existed and were reverberating throughout society. John Carpenter’s film took the idea of a serial killer that would signal the new fan favorite subcategory: slasher-horror. 

Movie director Rob Zombie attempted to surpass original but took the modern approach by giving a monotonous backstory for Michael Myers which didn’t transfer with the more violent and gory Myers onscreen. 

Mackenzie Ozhekim, a West Ranch sophomore, watched both versions of Halloween and stated, “I liked the original movie better. The original movie didn’t have to use a crazy amount of gore in order to make it eerie. I also like the soundtrack of the original movie better and the way they chose to portray certain characters.” 

“Friday the 13th” (1980) vs. (2009): The original “Friday the 13th” uses a 1st person point of view to much greater effect than “Psycho” or “Halloween,” putting viewers at the forefront of its violent kills. The original film gave birth to one of horror’s biggest icons: Jason Voorhees.  

The 2009 remake abandoned the style of the ’80s version. Instead of the mother being the most threatening, Jason himself appeared as the killer, and horror fans rejected the film as an imitation of the original. 

“A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984) vs. (2010): Being the ultimate classic, it completely surpasses it’s contender in 2010. The original movie has a dreamy atmosphere and feels like it fluctuates from a dream to reality, making the plot more terrifying. The characters in the film portray just the right amount of terror when being pursued by Freddy Krueger. 

The 2010 version not only had an obnoxious amount of jumpscares but proceeded to explore the notion that Freddy Krueger was innocent. Since this did not go well with fans, it was also rejected like the “Friday the 13th” remake.

Originals seem to outnumber remakes 100 to nothing, which should send signs to directors to not try too hard or try their own take on remakes. As bad as fans deem remakes to be, people should still watch them. But just in case, next time someone goes to see a remake, they should keep in mind it might not be as good as the original.