Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Kiana Quick, A&E Editor

Living an hour away from Los Angeles has its perks: museums, shopping centers, cultural centers, and, best of all, restaurants and dessert places like the ones in Koreatown. Many students here agree that Santa Clarita needs a restaurant or dessert cafe like the ones in Los Angeles. Recently, a Japanese food and dessert restaurant opened up at the Westfield Mall next to Menchie’s and Lulu Lemon called Azubo Sabo. It’s not quite Korea town, but it’s definitely a start.

Walking by, you probably wouldn’t even notice the tiny entrance of Azubo Sabo. But what most passersby are attracted to are the rows of replica desserts in the front window like shaved ice and mochi ice cream.

The inside of the restaurant is pretty small, so be mindful if you are going during busy hours like right at lunch time or near 6 p.m. Tables line the right wall, and the rest of the seating is booths. Japanese art hangs proudly on the wall. And the best part is that everyone inside is probably eating something different.

The Katsu Curry (bottom) and Shoyu Ramen (top)

Azubo Sabo offers Japanese dishes like katsu curry, ramen, udon, karaage (Japanese fried chicken), salads, soups, chicken teriyaki bowls, and pork noodles. The first time I went, I ordered the katsu curry, a pile of strips of deep-fried, breaded chicken cutlet on top of spicy curry and white rice. Katsu curry is kind of like the chicken tenders of Japanese restaurants; if they don’t have good katsu, then it’s more likely that their other food isn’t good either. However, the katsu curry was one of the best I’ve eaten in SCV, compared to the katsu curry I’ve had in Japan. The outside was crispy, and it came hot out of the kitchen. The curry was pretty spicy, but I love spicy, so it was okay. I do wish that they gave more strips of chicken, but I feel that the size was appropriate for the $10 price.

My friend ordered the shoyu ramen, also another standard dish. The noodles were soft, and the pork cuts on the inside were cooked well, not too chewy or too tough. The soup was well seasoned, but we both preferred to put more spice inside of it for more flavor since it is supposed to be bland and simple. Inside of the soup was a square of seaweed, green onions, other vegetables, and little bamboo strips. Overall the ramen was quality ramen for around the same $10. Aside from quality food was quality service. Our glasses were always full of water, and our dirty dishes always taken right away. And because we were one of the first people to try it, they even gave us a coupon for the next time we came. We came back the next day.

Other dishes we got were the karaage and the tofu salad. The karaage was really well paired with sweet and sour sauce and ended up being one of my favorites. The tofu salad was also really good because of the sauce, but my katsu curry came with a small salad, so it was kind of unwise to order a separate salad.

The Green Tea Mochi Dessert

Now time for dessert. The dessert menu is about five plus pages of the menu, and most people only come in to get dessert then leave, so you know it has to be good. The first time I went, I got the green tea ice cream with mochi (rice cake). In the cup was a scoop of green tea ice cream, whipped cream, two different kinds of mochi, vanilla cream, and little squares of clear jello. The ice cream was standard green tea, but the mochi is what stood out to me as the best part of the dish. The mochi was soft, chewy, and freshly made. It was so good that the next time I went I just got mochi for dessert.

Azubo Sabo, despite being small, has excellent food and dessert, terrific service, and an authentic taste of Japan’s best dishes. 4 out of 5 Paws.Now time for dessert. The dessert menu is about five plus pages of the menu, and most people only come in to get dessert then leave, so you know it has to be good. The first time I went, I got the green tea ice cream with mochi (rice cake). In the cup was a scoop of green tea ice cream, whipped cream, two different kinds of mochi, vanilla cream, and little squares of clear jello. The ice cream was standard green tea, but the mochi is what stood out to me as the best part of the dish. The mochi was soft, chewy, and freshly made. It was so good that the next time I went I just got mochi for dessert.Azubo Sabo, despite being small, has excellent food and dessert, terrific service, and an authentic taste of Japan’s best dishes. 4 out of 5 Paws.

Kiana Quick, EIC

My name is Kiana. I’m the type of person who orders chicken tenders at burger places. 3D2Y. College please accept me.

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

Best Holiday Drinks From Your Local Coffee Shops

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

Practically Pie-fect: The Pie Tin Review

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

Food Review: Eat Real Cafe

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

Wafflecomb: A Taste of Hong Kong

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

Sept. 11 City Council Meeting

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

Maria Strmsek Retires

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

Just Chyllin’ with Chyll Creamery

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

Hiking in SCV: Mentryville

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

A Little History of Native Peoples in Santa Clarita

• Around Town: Azubo Sabo

Around Town

Urth Caffé: Pasadena

Around Town: Azubo Sabo