The Stress of Getting Recruited

The Stress of Getting Recruited

Erin Eskoff, Staff Writer

Athletes playing college sports have all been through the same process high school students are going through now: getting recruited. Every athlete that desires to play their sport at the collegiate level goes through the terror of waiting for the emails and phone calls from their dream schools.

When seeing others get recruited in the same sport, it’s very easy for students to feel like they have no shot of playing in college. However, when that first email from a coach pops up in your inbox, the motivation is unstoppable.

Junior Allison Jacobs is one of the most highly recruitable athletes at West Ranch. Being watched and offered scholarships from a handful of schools, Jacobs was faced with many obstacles when the emails began to pile up. During this process, she was very flustered because she was unable to talk to the coaches directly.

“I got my first recruiting letter in seventh grade, and that’s when the process began. It was frustrating because I was so young; I could never talk to the coaches directly. The process was really stressful since I didn’t know how I was expected to choose the next eight years of my life,” Jacobs stated.

In addition, there are many more factors in selecting a school to commit to aside from how amazing their program is. A few of the questions that have to be answered are “Do they have my major?,” “Will I get to play?,” “What division is the program?,” “Do I like the location?”

Senior Sophie Bobal has committed to play volleyball at Chapman University. When deciding to go to Chapman, she knew it was her number one choice for education, but she had more things to consider than just her field of study.

“When committing to a school, it’s important to keep all factors of the school in mind such as location, weather, atmosphere, and to make sure that you can genuinely picture yourself living there for part of your life. It is key to ensure you weigh out the pros and cons of what schools you’re deciding between to truly understand how each one has different attributes,” said Bobal.

In addition, Bobal stated further advice she wishes to give to athletes who are trying to get recruited:

“When it comes to sports, it is important to not be afraid to reach out to coaches and be persistent; you have to be adamant about putting yourself out there and showing your interest. Being unafraid to be vulnerable and taking risks is not only important during sports recruitment, but life in general.”

Overall, the most stressful part of receiving the emails is becoming aware that colleges are interested. Now, every time at big volleyball tournaments, it is common for athletes to try to spot the college scouts and wait for an email from them.

The recruiting process definitely comes with a great amount of pressure, but it’s also a very enjoyable process. Although waiting for any sort of contact from coaches is stressful, finally receiving an email shows that hard work pays off.