Painting Under Pressure: West Ranch Students Take the Win

Victoria Davis - First Place

Victoria Davis - First Place

Victoria Davis - First Place

Victoria Davis - First Place

Noor Baber, Staff Writer

Regardless of the medium being used, art is a difficult subject to master. Just like any activity, visual art takes time to learn and perfect. Endless hours and a great deal of patience must be put into refining one’s skills. In the end, this hard work always pays off. 

Here in SCV, there are several amazing opportunities for artists of all ages and any level of expertise. Approaching the end of the previous semester, the skills of designers from around Santa Clarita were put to the test for an annual art competition. The Painting Under Pressure Art Competition was created by students at the Academy of the Canyons to tackle the topic of stress. SCV residents were asked to create art that related to stress – for example, art could portray the definition of stress or show different types of stress.

Students from around Santa Clarita submitted their artwork, and Academy of the Canyons held an exhibit displaying the pieces on Dec. 7. At the exhibit, visitors voted for their top three favorite artworks, and all three winners received cash prizes. 

Amazingly, all three winners of the competition are from West Ranch. The first place winner is freshman Victoria Davis. Megan Kim, a senior, earned second place, and senior Tyler Felipe got third.

The passion and hours put into her piece paid off for Victoria Davis, winning her first place.

Q & A with Victoria Davis:

Q: The painting under pressure competition was all about portraying stress through an artist’s point of view. Is there any specific type of stress that you tried to portray in your art?

A: I tried to portray different types of stress that a student in high school might feel such as stress from work, school or friendships.

Q: Was there a particular source of inspiration for you while creating your piece?

A: I’ve always loved drawing characters that felt some sort of emotional feeling, so when drawing my piece I took inspiration from a lot of those art pieces.

Q: What medium did you use to create your piece?

A: I used ink and watercolors to create my piece.

Q: Congratulations on winning first place! How did it feel to win the competition?

A: I was truly surprised when I won because I thought my piece was one of the less impressive pieces there. So when I found out I won, I was excited.

Q: When did you originally start drawing and doing art?

A: I started drawing when I was in third grade because my parents put me in an art class with my brother, since he was an amazing artist.

Q: Did painting come easily to you from the start, or did it take time to build your skillset?

A: At first, I was not that good, but with practice I was able to improve my skills.

Q: Do you plan to pursue art as a profession?

A: At the moment I do not know what I want to do, but art is certainly an option.

Megan Kim, another passionate artist, won second place in the competition.

Q & A with Megan Kim:

A: Not specifically, but I was trying to. Well, the only kind of stress I have is mainly from schoolwork, so usually when I’m stressed when I’m doing schoolwork I get very distracted; my mind gets very chaotic. So in this painting, I was trying to portray the chaotic manner of stress. But I think it could be more generalized rather than specific.

A: Well, in class I like to doodle on my paper — random features of the face, like eyes and lips — so in my piece, you can see little features of the face repeated throughout the whole artwork. I guess I was just experimenting with the whole thing; it wasn’t planned out. 

A: I used watercolor, but I also cut out little characters from a spiral notebook I have and I just pasted them on.

Q: Congratulations on winning second place! How did it feel to win the competition?

A: When I found out — I’m not a very expressive person, so I was really happy, but all I did was smile. Sure, I was excited, but I was more excited about the money than actually winning!

A: I think everyone starts doing art when they’re really little, but I think I just got serious about it in maybe sixth or seventh grade.

A: I think it took time, because, even now, I’m not great at using acrylics. I’m only comfortable using watercolor paints, which is also why my medium is in watercolor.

A: Yes and no, so I’m also interested in computer science so a lot of the majors I’ve been looking into for college integrate either both computer science and art: things like VR which integrate computer science and art.

Senior Tyler Felipe created a drawing using his skills in realism, and his drawing secured him third place in the competition.

Q & A with Tyler Felipe:

A: Yes, in my particular piece, I wanted to portray the effects of childhood negligence on mental health and how as humans we tend to handle stress by continuing through life as if things were normal instead of directly confronting the issue head on.

Yes, I took a lot of inspiration from other people’s peoples stories and my own experiences. Other people’s art also gave me inspiration for my piece.

A: I used charcoal.

Q: Congratulations on winning third place! How did it feel to win third place?

A: It was definitely exciting. Of course, it was really nice to see everyone’s art and how everyone put everything together. It was great to see other people’s intakes on stress in general.

A: I remember always imitating these drawings I would see as a child, around age 5. I remember copying “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” drawings and cartoons, and that’s when I started taking an interest in drawing.

A: I did do a lot of brainstorming, because I took a picture of my own house and tried to visualize what I wanted to do. When it clicked and I realized, “this is what I want to do,” that’s when things started to get easier.

A: Not really sure about that, but it is one of my most passionate hobbies. So I think I would have it as a side hobby. I’m not completely sure yet, because I have interests in a lot of other fields.

Winning at the Painting Under Pressure competition was a big achievement for these students, so be sure to congratulate them if you see any of them around campus!