The Five Senses of Fall

Alice Xie, Staff Writer

After months of scorching heat, the weather has finally started to cool down. Chilly breezes and falling leaves have signaled the start of the transition from summer to autumn. Fall brings with it many new distinctive sights, feels, sounds, smells, and tastes: the five senses.

Mrs. Rojas, a teacher at West Ranch, explained how the five senses are used to experience some of her favorite parts of fall. “When I think of fall, I think of eating everything pumpkin, seeing the leaves change, smelling cinnamon, hearing the wind blow and feeling cozy with a blanket,” she disclosed.

Fall is a very visual season; many changes can be discerned with sight. It is that time of year when the leaves on trees slowly turn red and yellow. Brightly colored leaves can be seen catching a ride on the breeze or littering the ground. People taking walks nowadays are spotted in hoodies and jackets. Inside the house, fall decorations can be glimpsed, bringing pops of vivid fall colors into the living space. Perhaps the fireplace is on, providing the room with a fluorescent fire and a warm glow.

“My favorite part of fall is spooky Halloween festivities like haunted mazes and haunted houses,” West Ranch student Bailey Green told the Paw Print. When asked how this relates to one of the five senses, Green replied with, “the most useful sense for me is sight because I love to see all the haunted houses and mazes, and I also love to see the leaves.”

Feeling is a big part of being able to tell the differences that autumn brings. As fall begins, the telltale prickle of cold air against skin means the weather is gradually becoming colder. Extra warm jackets are required to go anywhere. The air outside swirls against exposed faces and hands in gusts of biting cold drafts, numbing ears and fingertips. Heaters and fireplaces are on so that people can thaw their hands and feel warmth. There’s one more feeling that comes with fall, one that isn’t tangible. It’s holiday spirit, and it fills the air with a buzzing excitement.

New sounds are introduced with the coming of fall. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. The leaves scattering the ground can be heard crumbling beneath passerby’s feet. Whistling can be noted coming from the howling wind outside. Dancing flames produce crackling in fireplaces, and the whooshing of heaters can be heard over the chattering of teeth.

Undoubtedly, one of the most distinctive senses in autumn is smell. Outside, the air smells cleaner, fresher. Inside, candles are lit up, sending the aroma of spices through the air. Baked goods in the oven give off wafts of cinnamon and pumpkin and burnt wood can be smelled through the grates of the fireplace.

Victoria Vo, a student at West Ranch, revealed her favorite part of fall and why she needs her senses to experience it. “My favorite part of fall is how the air starts to be crisper and colder,” she explained. Vo stated afterwards that she thinks “the most useful sense is the sense of smell because you need your nose to breathe and when the air is colder and crisper, it sometimes gives off a scent of leaves and other fall sensations that you only get once a year.”

As the seasons change gears into fall, special flavors and tastes are introduced. There are sugary caramel and pumpkin flavored treats and drinks that warm you to your core. Limited edition fall flavors are available in stores, exciting taste buds with nutmeg, apple cider, chai and hazelnut.

Fall is that season, where leaves start to look like a sunset, pastries smell decadent, the wind sounds like its roaring, the weather is chilling to the bone and treats taste like spices. From pumpkins to confections, all five human senses are key to being able to experience the fall season to its fullest.