Thieves Steal Five Tons of Nutella in Germany

Candace Ro, Staff Writer

Over the past weekend, Germany has come up five metric tons (five and a half tons) short on Nutella. Nutella is a brand name gooey hazelnut chocolate spread. It is made of roasted hazelnuts, skim milk, and a hint of cocoa. It is sold in over 75 countries and produces an average of 179,000 tons a year.

Police reports say that the thievery took place on Monday and more than 6,500 jars are missing from a trailer in Central Germany. According to the Latin Times, the trailer was parked in an old railway station in Bad Hersfeld, Germany. However, this isn’t the first time a bulk item has been stolen from the area. The German website “The Local” reported that a trailer full of coffee and Red Bull have also been stolen in the past few weeks.

West Ranch students were shocked about the Nutella thievery.

“I love Nutella because they taste like Ferrero Rocher Chocolates. I can’t believe someone would steal five tons of it,” said senior, Grace S. Kim.

It is estimated that the five metric tons of Nutella is worth about 20,000 U.S. dollars. The thieves have still been unidentified and it is still unknown how the culprits could have transported 6,500.

It was originally made in the 1940’s because during World War II because chocolate was limited and expensive. Hazelnuts, however, were abundant and cheap in Italy. This resulted in the cheap alternative in chocolate. However over the past 70 years, prices have rose and is not known as “a cheap alternative to chocolate.”

The Atlantic Times suspect that this bundle of hazelnut chocolate spread will be sold on the black market. Nutella prices are rising as their popularity grows and 6,500 jars will certainly bring in a heap of money. A five pack of 13 ounce Nutella on Amazon is 25 dollars.