Your Future Starts Now

Jay Park, Staff Writer

Envisioning yourself five or 10 years into the future is tough. Teachers and parents are always reminded that we have a bright future ahead with endless opportunities. Many of us also have a total freedom of what career we can choose. Being open and laid-back is great and all, but the “future ahead” is already in front of us. We don’t have the leisure to enroll in six-week culinary  art courses in college just because it seems fun. Deciding what we want to do for the rest of our lives is important and we should start now.

The National Center for Education recorded that the average college student changes his or her major at least three times, often because he or she finds it uninteresting and different. It is good to try to find the perfect career for yourself, but time is money in college. Tuition fees are nothing to joke about. Switching late into college will cripple your student loans and you. Since you made the decision to change majors, you will be responsible for succeeding, which piles more stress on you. All your efforts of taking different courses will be worthless, and you must spend more time learning new subjects when you could be working already.

Instead of frantically switching around in college, it is a good idea to plan your college journey from beginning to the end. High school is the ideal time to gauge your interests and passions. Ideally, you would make your decision based on factual research and self-reflection, a middle ground between your passion and skill level. It is much harder to become a rocket scientist if you are doing badly in your math, since the entirety of the career is calculations. This kind of planning already separates from the majority of students who, according to the survey by College Student Journal, make their decisions based on parental and peer influence and assumptions about courses.

Enjoying and thriving in school subjects are a good indicator of the courses that you would take in college. If you want to take it a step further, college courses, even online ones, can help your further down the road. Clubs and electives give you opportunities that school time otherwise wouldn’t allow to be with people with similar interests. Volunteering, job shadowing, and counseling all will give a reality check on the everyday schedules of professionals and their thoughts. It will show both the glamorous and the not-so-attractive parts of the job.
  Whether you’re a senior or freshman, it is never too late to explore your potential. You might even be pleasantly surprised by unexpectedly finding great careers that you would have not otherwise thought of. Regardless of how much you take this article in consideration, it doesn’t hurt to prepare yourself for the real world that is only a few years away.