Coronavirus cases soar as states take action to contain it

Alyssa Chang, Staff Writer

As of March 22, there are 336,838 coronavirus cases and 14,616 deaths worldwide. Just in the U.S. alone, there have been 33,546 confirmed cases and 419 deaths.

As many have experienced, U.S. schools all over the nation have closed in the last few weeks in an effort to stop the spread of the virus. In Kansas, Gov. Laura Kelly has ordered closure of all schools in the state for the rest of the year. In addition, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced that all remaining testing in the state is cancelled, and there will be no grades put in for the rest of the year.

On March 18, Governor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order to suspend standardized testing in California. Although the order is yet to be approved by the U.S. government, many Californian citizens are in favor.

For the time being, West Ranch High School will be closed until May 5, and will continue to interact on the online learning system. Since the dates can change due to how quickly and seriously the virus is spreading, be sure to keep an eye out for further updates.

Gov. Gavin Newsom has ordered all Californians to stay at home starting March 19. Although the order exempts travel to essential services such as grocery stores, gasoline stations, and pharmacies, it will still place restrictions on 40 million residents.

With over 1,000 confirmed cases and 19 dead in the state, Newsom states that “it’s time for all of us to recognize, as individuals and as a community, we need to do more.”

In addition to school closures, AP Exams and the SAT have changed their testing format due to the virus. For AP Exams, the College Board has offered two test date options, reduced the material on the test, and will enable students to take the exam at home. SAT tests throughout the next few months are being cancelled, and makeup dates will be posted soon.

Some symptoms of the COVID-19 are a runny nose, sore throat, cough, fever and difficulty breathing in severe cases. Although the symptoms are very similar to the regular flu, the World Health Organization has advised to reach out to a doctor immediately for medical advice if anyone believes they are experiencing coronavirus symptoms.

Cats, make sure to avoid groups, keep washing your hands frequently and avoid touching your face. The Paw Print will continue to post new updates as the coronavirus progresses.