The COVID-19 pandemic causes dramatic changes to the AP exam

Jasmine Wongphatarakul, Staff Writer

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the College Board announced that the 2020 AP exams will consist of a 45-minute online exam of only free-response questions. The College Board ultimately decided to make several changes to allow students to still earn their AP exam scores while in quarantine.

According to the College Board, each exam will have one or two free-response questions, and each question will be timed differently. The exam questions will be based on the topics and skills most AP students would have learned by early March. In addition, the AP exams will be open note.

Students can take the test on a computer, tablet or smartphone, and have the option of typing their responses or writing by hand. Because the AP exams will be taken online, the College Board will be checking for plagiarism by using a plagiarism detection software and post-administration analytics to ensure students aren’t cheating.

The College Board has also pushed back the dates for testing to May 11 through May 22. Due to the numerous changes to the exams, the College Board is allowing students to cancel their tests for a full refund until the day of the exam. They are also providing live review classes on their YouTube channel to better prepare AP students.

The Paw Print hopes everyone does well on the newly-adapted exams. Good luck, Wildcats!