Santa Clarita Valley surpasses 1,000 COVID-19 cases as the U.S. passes 100,000 deaths

Alyssa Chang, Staff Writer

As of May 29, there have been 5,950,088 COVID-19 cases and 362,989 deaths worldwide. In the U.S. alone, there have been 1,772,355 confirmed cases and 103,418 deaths.

In the Santa Clarita Valley, at least 1,160 cases have been confirmed with at least 20  individuals passing away, while a total of 77 have recovered. KHTS reports that there are currently at least 716 confirmed cases reported in the city of Santa Clarita, 340 in Castaic, 34 in Stevenson Ranch and 37 in unincorporated areas of Canyon Country. Saugus currently has four confirmed cases while there are seven in Valencia. 

In L.A. County, COVID-19 cases have surpassed 49,774 cases and 2,241 deaths. 

Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital has administered 1,332 tests as of last Thursday, and while 197 were confirmed positive, 1,245 were returned negative. 

Although case and death numbers have been devastating the last few weeks, there seems to be hope in some countries as they slowly reopen public spaces. Switzerland allowed places of worship to open from May 28, and a week has passed without a Coronavirus death in Cuba. 

In addition, France, Germany, Australia and South Korea reopened their schools while still practicing as much social distancing as possible. They have required students to wear masks and be tested for symptoms as they walk into school. 

As for California, 47 out of 58 counties had barbershops and hair salons that opened as of May 26. Also, Six Flags Magic Mountain is planning to reopen with social distancing measures that include temperature checks, wearing masks at all times and mobile food ordering. Hand sanitizing stations will be placed throughout the park, including ride exits. 

Cats, remember to practice social distancing and stay at home as much as possible. It is important to keep practicing social distancing as public spaces such as tennis courts and beaches start to reopen. Stay safe!