No More Ban on Female Make-up Artists in India

A majority of make-up artists in India are actually male.

Provided by website Memorable Indian Weddings

Sydney Chang, Staff Writer

On Nov. 10, India’s Supreme Court called an end to the 59-year ban on female make-up artists. Many females, such as Charu Khurana, have been living in the dark, deprived of opportunities to advance into the professional film industry. Until this lift occurred, India’s movie industry had been very strict on regulations determining who could participate in films.

In 2004, Khurana was denied a job in the film industry just because she was a woman. Then, in 2009, she gained aid from the National Commission for Women who supported her unjust situation. Since her declination, she has been advocating for women’s rights in India’s movie industry and going against the union for supporting this prohibition.

According to an interview with The Times of India, during Khurana’s case, there were not that many citizens who majored in special effects and prosthetics for occupations. The number of make-up artists was actually lacking. Therefore, India’s film industry worked with foreigners from Pakistan and Britain, and stimulated a partnership. Good news for film directors in India. Bad news for the female population that desperately want jobs in the film industry.

After reading this article, I thought to myself: Why should foreign people, both male and female, gain these rights if India’s own citizens were deprived of these rights involved with the film industry? Then I pondered about the reason why these women were prohibited from entering the industry. The  main justification from the mouths of directors was “because you are a woman.” As a fellow female, I found this reason to be not only illogical and condescending. I left my thoughts in a conclusion that there must have been another underlying reason.

Since ancient times, many cultures have embraced the idea of male-dominance. Some countries, like China, still value this idea while others, like the United States, overlook it today. Women were expected to only focus on their children and households, often looked down upon as incapable and unskilled. You may be thinking, “Good thing we don’t live in those ages anymore.” Actually, it still lives on today through stereotypes in all parts of the world.

The idea of inferiority of women has transcended time. Sure, there are so many successful women in the world. Whether they’re athletes or business women, these women are bowed down to and worshipped in the hall of fame. However, the condescending tone toward women still exists today.

I have heard so many illogical reasons as to why I cannot do something. In a high school setting full of rash and reckless students, phrases “Oh, because you’re a girl” or “Oh, I’m sure you don’t know how to work this. Let me help you” are ubiquitous. Am I not allowed to lift up the desk for my peer? Am I not capable of turning on a computer? The funny part is that I hear this from mostly boys. I’m sure they are joking; however, this image of women has influenced societal ideals for many decades. These phrases have probably affected many young females as well, not just me.

Well now, I lay my foot down and say, “Give us equality.” This phrase is a bit cliché, but it’s still relevant today. Instead of hurling jokes to women to “make sandwiches” in the kitchen, give all women in the world opportunities to express their abilities and live out their desires. Gender should not be a requirement in taking up a challenge or working a dream job. Everyone should have a choice.