New “Barbie”

New “Barbie”

Provided by Plus Model Magazine

Provided by Plus Model Magazine

Provided by Plus Model Magazine

Sydney Chang, Staff Writer

Lammily, a doll with an ombre blouse, denim shorts, and white sneakers, became Nickolay Lamm’s recent product of his New Barbie project that launched back in 2013. Due to his dissatisfaction with Barbie’s terribly dispropriate body figure, he decided to bring his ideas to life. Although there have been differing opinions about this new doll, it may bring positive and negative impacts to the youth in society.

Pros

1. Sets realistic standards for children

According to the Social Issues Research Center, in one 1997 survey conducted in the United States, 81 percent of 10-year-old girls had already dieted at least once. Due to influences of advertisements, many women are pressured to uphold the “perfect” ideal body or face.

When I was a young child, I played with Barbies and viewed them as real people. Therefore, when I glanced at their long legs and skinny frame, I figured these doll features were what made someone “normal.”

Lamm posted a video to convey his point that actual “realistic” dolls implement a much better perspective of women in young children’s minds. They should be exposed to strong, healthy bodies and be encouraged to be confident in any body size or shape.

In Lamm’s video, second grade students at St. Edmund’s Academy compared the two Barbies in terms of physical appearances in which the traditional Barbie has an abnormal, flat stomach and too much makeup on her face. The children expressed their excitement upon being exposed to the “New Barbie.” One child screamed out loud, “She looks like my sister.”

1. Excites the children

In the video, one young girl stated, “She’s really unique because I don’t have other dolls like this. She looks real.” Lammily definitely looks exotic compared to the original Barbie dolls. She is 11 inches in height and thirty-seven and a half inches in waist size.

Instead of possessing the same blonde hair and long legs, Lammily has brown hair that is not perfectly parted in place and not too skinny or long legs. Lammily is a doll with a completely different outer appearance yet appeals to children as a brand new, shiny toy.

Cons

1. Recognizes insecurities among people

Lammily will be sold with an additional sticker pack of grass stains, freckles, stretch marks and acne in which children can stick on and off on the dolls’ faces and bodies. These unique features were added to change the beauty standards depicted in society today; however, they can also emphasize the many insecurities normal people encounter.

For instance, I met a classmate who always wore long-sleeved shirts. During her recital of a personal poem she wrote, she shared to the class that she had a birthmark that looked like a scar. She constantly wanted to hide it from the public eye and protect a sense of her own self-confidence in front of new people.

Although this sticker pack was created to benefit the minds and perspectives of children, it can offend or hurt anyone who struggles with these “imperfect” features. Ultimately, Lamm will be making money based off of many people’s insecurities. Would his action be considered moral? I think not.

1. May be inappropriate for young children

At a young age, children find themselves attracted to physically appealing toys or dolls. If the various stickers that add to the “imperfection” were added to the Lammily doll, the doll would not be as visually appealing compared to the original Barbie doll.

The original Barbie conveys an important idea of cleanliness and appropriateness. At such young ages, children should not be exposed to body features that may appear during their later years (i.e. stretch marks, cellulite)

When I become a mother some later time in my life, I would definitely not want my child to play with toys that have scars or grass stains on them. I would not want my child to think that these features are “okay.” Scars appear from injuries and grass stains may come from rough play. The doll’s features may spark my child’s curiosity and cause a scar or grass stain to be evident on my child the next day.

Lammily, the New Barbie,has sparked great anticipation and questioning among parents and children. This new doll will probably receive much love from certain people while others may try to stray away from this unfamiliar doll. Regardless of what they look like, dolls are just dolls, and they all need love.