Wildcats shut down by Vikings

Minjae Kang, A&E Editor

This year’s installment of the West Ranch-Valencia football rivalry was a letdown for Wildcats. Valencia started and finished strong, both offensively and defensively. The offense, led by junior quarterback Cole Parkinson, executed quick drives tallying 6 touchdowns for a score of 41. Meanwhile, West Ranch struggled to find a rhythm on offense as many of their drives were cut short by turnovers. On the defensive side of the ball, the Wildcats couldn’t slow Parkinson’s passing and running ability.
West Ranch’s offense, led by junior quarterback Jackson Clark, started off well, making big yardage plays to seniors Moskal and Heinz, the top options at the wide receiver position. Despite these momentous deep passes, the Vikings’ defense was quick to adapt, forcing 4th downs and interceptions.
The defense for West Ranch also started off well, making interceptions of their own, shifting the momentum to its side. Despite these efforts, the team failed to transition that momentum into its offense. The offense couldn’t put a single score up for West Ranch. The final scoreboard read 41-0 when the whistles were blown to signal the end of the game.
Last week’s game against Hart showed flashes of the Wildcats at their best, but against Valencia, no flashes were provided. Despite the underwhelming performance put out, the West Ranch Pack, proud of the effort of their team, kept things lively and exciting, keeping an electrified atmosphere in the student section. The Pack sported pink, honoring Breast Cancer Awareness and “Pinktober.” West Ranch’s dance team, marching band, and drumline all made spectacular performances.
When the game ended, the Viking student section stormed the field, something that Wildcats still haven’t been able to do, now with a 0-3 record in league play. Valencia is now 3-0, and are expected to come out as league champs.
Though the game didn’t go in the Wildcats’ favor, the football team can use the game as a learning experience as they ready for a more competitive game against Golden Valley next week.