WR Girls’ Varsity Tennis Defeats Saugus in Last Home Game

Harneet Arora, Sports Writer

On Oct. 20 girls’ varsity tennis team played their last game of the season against Saugus before CIF Championships. Seniors Cori Raffish, Quinterra Walter-Eze, and captain Brittany Waugh were truly the stars of the game and contributed to the team’s 18-0 win.  Their performance matched their love for the game and for West Ranch as this was their last game. The team performed well all season so it is not a surprise they placed first in league.

Coach Dina McBride expresses her mixed emotions as the season comes to an end and championships begin.

“It’s over. Can you believe it?” said Coach McBride. “I have three seniors leaving and they were a huge part of this team’s success. They are three great student athletes. I’m going to miss them terribly.”

It has been a long time since girls’ tennis has come out on top. They haven’t had a season like this since 2011.

“This is my first time coming out first in league,” said Coach McBride. “When I first started off, we had eight players on the jv team who have never played tennis before. The whole team has grown so much since then.”

Freshman Jordyn McBride was a major contributor to the team and has already made her mark in her first year at West Ranch. She has enjoyed every moment that she has spent with her teammates.

“I played tough this year and as a team, we became a family,” said McBride. It’s really exciting to be a part of a winning team this year and coming here at the peak of their performance is rewarding.”

This has been a wonderful season for both the JV and varsity teams. Good luck next week in CIF Championships. Bring home that trophy!