Girls’ Varsity Tennis CIF Championship Journey Ends

Harneet Arora, Sports Writer

After going a whole season undefeated, the team’s journey ended in the first round of Division 1 against Oaks Christians. The team has had a great season before the championships as they made Wildcat history defeating their rivals, Valencia, and continued to be a main competitor throughout. Everyone’s hard work and dedication through long, intense practices really transformed the team and contributed to their success in Foothill League. Coach Dina McBride was eager for her first Foothill League win and truly helped in coaching the team and developing each and every player.

“Tennis is a sport for a lifetime, and our girls will have a skill that will always be there for them,” said McBride. “These experiences of team unity and competing for a common will last a lifetime.”

Despite the fact that the team’s season is over, two doubles teams, Brittany Waugh and Danielle Hettinger and Quinterra Walter Eze and Cori Raffish, and one individual player, Jordyn McBride, have qualified for CIF individuals.

“In prelims, you have to get to the finals to go and the top two people get selected so I was second for singles,” said Jordyn McBride. “We are competing individually to get a few rounds in CIF but it is going to be tough competition.”

Although their high school season is over, the girls are continuing to compete with other girls just as good as they are.

“We are competing for the Sectional Individual CIF title against the best of the best so there is going to be some tough competition,” said Danielle Hettinger.

“I think it’s really cool because I have never gone personally so I am really excited to be representing one of the top two doubles teams in our league,” said Brittany Waugh.

Although West Ranch is losing three vital players, including Brittany Waugh, Cori Raffish, and Quinterra Walter Eze, the girls have many goals and hopes for the following years.

“It has been really amazing being captain of an undefeated team,” said Waugh. “I really feel that all my hard work as being team captain and motivating my team has paid off.”

“For the team, I hope that we can continue this momentum,” said Jordyn McBride. “We are doing really well and I hope that it doesn’t stop, and for the next 3 years while I’m here I hope that we can continue to fire.”

At the end of the season, the team formed strong bonds with one another that will contribute to their everlasting friendship in the future.

“My favorite memory was when we beat Valencia and the team went to Stone Fire after and we were all still pumped about the win,” said Jordyn McBride.

“My favorite memory was after we won league and played our last home match against Saugus,” said Brittany Waugh. “The JV had already won so they all came back to West Ranch. We dumped water on the coach and the team dumped water on me. Later that night, the whole team teepeed my house. This was definitely one of the best moments of my entire high school career.”

After a wonderful season, the rest of the returning players look forward to a strong season next year. Good luck Cats.