Girls’ Tennis Season Preview

Harneet Arora, Staff Writer

Last year they went undefeated in league. Last year six individuals were nominated for CIF individuals. This year the West Ranch girls’ tennis team hopes to top their performance from last season.

“To continue to improve and have fun is our number one goal,” said tennis coach Dina McBride. “And with those two processes, I believe we will continue to win.”

Despite the fact that three key players graduated last year, many other individuals have stepped up to the plate. Strong JV players from last season have proved to be great additions to the team. Freshman Shaira Busnawi, sophomore Jordyn McBride, and juniors Emily Andrews and Audrey Kim in doubles are a few amongst the many individuals to look out for this upcoming season.

After coaching such a successful team last year, Coach Dina McBride will continue to push her team even farther to test their skills.

“Dina is constantly looking for ways to improve our game, and the main thing she always tells us is to be super aggressive and try new things at practice,” said captain Danielle Hettinger. “She puts a strong emphasis on doing the right thing that is going to better our game in the long run and tries to push us to reach our full potential.”

Going into the new season, Hettinger definitely believes that Valencia is their strongest competitor, but being the captain this year, she has some big goals for the future.

“As captain, my main goal is to create that family vibe and have a lot of fun,” said Hettinger. “We want to win league and hopefully go undefeated like season. Also looking further into the season, our team is working hard to make it far in CIF.”

With practices already in full swing, the tennis team is ready for another incredible year. Join your West Ranch girls’ tennis team in their first league game on September 12 at 3:00 against Golden Valley. Good luck Cats.