Freshman Varsity Basketball: Abbey Ang

Harneet Arora, Staff writer

Dribble. Pass. Cut. Layup. These are the steps that varsity girls’ basketball player Abbey Ang replays in her head as she is told to run one of her many plays. After not completing the play to her coach’s satisfaction, she is told to run it again. In the short instances between plays, Ang manages to catch her breath. Finally, the team gets a one minute water break. Failure to get back on the line in time results in a dreaded punishment. The one minute flies by and, nearly immediately, the team begins practicing again.

For freshman Abbey Ang, the intensity of practices and playing with other high level players is not new as she has been playing travel basketball since fifth grade. Previously playing for Synergy, Ang is now a part of Starting 5, a travel team new to the Santa Clarita area.

“Skills-wise and practice-wise, the transition wasn’t that difficult,” said Ang. “In travel ball, we always played up a level together so it was like we had already been playing with high schoolers. Being a part of a travel team really developed my understandings of the game and the way plays work.”

West Ranch’s new open enrollment system has allowed Ang to transfer here from Albert Einstein, but the major factor in her decision was her friends. Their choice to come to West Ranch encouraged her to make her final decision. With all of her unique talents and abilities, Ang has proven to be a vital contribution to the team.

“Abbey is a hard worker and is poised for a freshman basketball player,” said girls’ basketball coach, Carlos Fandino. “She can handle the basketball and she sees passing lanes quickly. She is one of my hardest workers both on offense and defense. She is the true meaning of team player and will lead our team both on and off the court over the next four years.”

Despite Ang’s numerous years of experience, making varsity was a wonderful yet terrifying experience. She constantly works to improve her abilities and continues to prove her skills both to herself and to her peers.

“At first, I was extremely nervous and worried that I would not be able to reach the set expectations, but so far I think that this has just been a lot of fun, and I am just grateful for the opportunity to be on varsity as a freshman,” said Ang. “But I have to say that it was scary also because I am very short and everyone was a lot taller than me.”

Girls’ basketball captain Katie Joiner has noticed Ang’s hardwork and dedication to the team. She truly believes that her talents will help the team go far this year.

“Abbey is such a great teammate,” said Joiner. “She is always cheering on the whole team, giving high fives and just being loud on the bench. She also has a high basketball IQ which allows her to see the floor very well and get the ball to where it needs to go.”

For Ang, her young age doesn’t stop her from being a leader on her team. She plays possibly the most important role on the court and faces her challenges head-on with a smile on her face and a bubbly spirit.

“Being a point guard, I am able to help my team and be an effective team player,” said Ang. I just like being able to lead my team in something that I love and enjoy.”

With the preseason already in motion, Ang looks forward to bonding with her teammates and making many new memories with them. As nearly the entire team will be returning from last season, their experience hopes to make them a major competitor in league. Come out and join the team in their first league game on Jan. 9 at 5:00. Good luck Cats.

Harneet Arora, Copy Editor

Hi, I’m Harneet, and I am a junior at West Ranch.

• Sports

West Ranch Football Season Review

• Freshman Varsity Basketball: Abbey Ang

Sports

West Ranch’s Student Athletes Sign their Letters of Intent

Sports

West Ranch Football’s historic season ends with tough loss to Oxnard

Sports

West Ranch football loses tough game to Hart

Sports

West Ranch Varsity Girls Tennis Dominates against Hart

West Ranch Marching Band Sweeps Their First Competition

Sports

West Ranch Girl’s Volleyball defeats Canyon on Senior Night

Sports

West Ranch rallies with late comeback, takes down Saugus

Sports

West Ranch Girls Volleyball Sweeps Golden Valley in a Dominate Win

Sports

And…Touchdown! West Ranch Football Creates West Ranch History!

Freshman Varsity Basketball: Abbey Ang