Girls Basketball Defeats Golden Valley in a Close Game

Jasleen Arora, Staff Writer

Yesterday the girls basketball team won their first league game against Golden Valley High School.

The game got off to a quick start and both teams stayed neck and neck throughout all four quarters. Freshmen Abby Ang and Senior Katie Joiner led the team to victory by setting up plays for their teammates and pushing the ball up the court to get easy layups. After being tied most of the game, junior Aaliyah Austin made two three-pointers in a row to put the Cats up ahead 41-43 with a minute left in the game. However, Golden Valley answered back with a basket of their own to tie up the score at 43. Senior Etana Sesay then sealed their victory by making both of her free throws with 34 seconds left in the game.

The final score was 45-47.

“I thought the team did well. We found a way to win even though we didn’t shoot well or execute that well. But, down the stretch we made some big plays,” said Coach Vanhook. “I thought they played hard and gave it the best they could. I was very happy with the effort that they gave today.”

Although this was a well-deserved win for the Cats, there is still room for improvement as only half the season has gone by.

“For our next game we need to work on pushing the ball up and getting back on defense,” said senior captain Katie Joiner.

Congratulations Cats! Come out and support the team as they take on Canyon at Canyon this Friday at 5 p.m.