Girls Basketball is Defeated by Valencia

Jasleen and Harneet Arora, Staff Writer

On Friday, Feb. 2, West Ranch girls basketball fell 66-35 to Valencia. The game opened with a brief introduction of Valencia’s senior players before they played their last league game at home. Each player walked in with their family and a few of their most memorable moments was read aloud. Determined to go out strong, Valencia began attacking from the very beginning, but the Wildcats held their own.

“Today we did awesome, we put up 35 points, and I think all the girls responded well after a tough Saugus loss,” said Coach Fandino.

Freshman Abbey Ang proved to be a vital contribution to the team. With less than a second left in the shot clock, she threw up a far three and knocked it down. Post player Tatyana Ekmejian made some strong offensive moves and captured quite a few buckets against the tough Valencia Vikings.  

With the season coming to an end, captains Katie Joiner and Kendall Fortner hope they have left their mark behind at West Ranch.

“I really want to girls to carry on the legacy of just working hard and just focusing on their shooting and playing together,” said Fortner.

“I just hope to be a leader and lead by example. I hope that I was a good captain to these girls and I helped them learn and they watched me,” said Joiner.  

Anxious to make it to playoffs with only two opportunities left, Coach Fandino hopes his team will earn a win against Hart this week.

“We have to be able to shut down Annie Christofferson as well as the whole Hart offense. So that’s our number one goal,” said Fandino. “We have to be able to shoot the way we shot today. We have to shoot high percentage shots and shut down Hart’s offense.”

Join the Cats in their next game on Tuesday, Feb. 6 at Hart. Good luck Cats!