West Ranch Girl’s Volleyball defeats Canyon on Senior Night

Noah Neri, Staff Writer

On Thursday, Oct. 11, the West Ranch girls volleyball team played their last game of the season against Canyon. It was Senior Night, and all West Ranch seniors were honored individually before the game.

During the first set, the Cats quickly jumped out to a lead and held it, easily winning 25-14. The second set was a hard-fought one for the Wildcats. After going up 7-4 on Canyon, the Cowboys rallied back to 10-8. But on the next play, senior Elena Sarreidine executed an amazing block to stop Canyon’s momentum. This became the story of the second set, as Canyon would rally before getting shut down by an amazing West Ranch hit or block. West Ranch would win by a score of 25-22.

In the third set, the Wildcats and Cowboys were locked in a tight battle, always within a one to two point lead. However, the Cats were able to pull away in win the 3rd set 25-20 to complete the sweep.

In the second half of the season, West Ranch volleyball has pulled off an amazing turnaround to get to the playoffs, going 13-3 after a 1-11 start. Coach Jamie Ker said“I think the girls have just gone back to enjoying playing. They’re having fun. It’s showing in the way they’re playing. It’s a little bit more relaxed and not nervous and they’re just excited to be here.”

When asked about playoffs, Coach Ker replied, “It’s probably going to be a team we’ve never played before, so we’ll have to figure it out on the fly, but I think we’re prepared to do that.”

Congratulations to the volleyball team on making the playoffs. Their first matchup of the CIF playoffs is at Alemany on Thursday, Oct. 18. Let’s go Cats!