West Ranch Soccer falls to Simi Valley in preseason match

Noah Neri, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Nov. 27, West Ranch boys soccer took on Simi Valley in their first match of the year. The team ended up losing 4 to 1 in a game that was closer than the final score shows.
The first half was a defensive struggle, with no goals scored and very few shots on the goal. When a ball did get through the defense, the two goalies would easily save the ball from reaching the goal.
After halftime, things started to go downhill for the West Ranch team. Simi was able to quickly score two fast goals, both on headers, within two minutes of each other. They took the lead 2-0 with just over 30 minutes left in the game.
The pair of goals could have easily disheartened most teams, but West Ranch responded by playing more aggressively, pushing the ball down the field and putting pressure on Simi Valley’s goalie to make saves. After several close saves by Simi Valley, Daniel Levite was finally able to score a goal through with 17 minutes remaining to cut the lead to 1.
Unfortunately, this goal was followed by another defensive lapse by West Ranch, allowing Simi to get another goal under 10 minutes, going up 3-1. A couple minutes later, Simi Valley got another goal to take a 4-1 lead and effectively end the game.
Despite a tough loss and trailing late in the game, West Ranch never gave up or stopped playing hard.
“It’s just the first game, and we’re still tweaking things up as a team… it was competitive and we’re tweaking things up for [league] season, which is what it’s about,” Head Coach Louis Mogrojevo told The Paw Print. He also reiterated team goals of finishing top three and hopefully winning league.
Good luck to West Ranch soccer in the rest of their season. Let’s go Cats!

Noah Neri, Staff Writer

Class of 2022. Rams and Lakers for life. KD ruined the NBA.