Dear College Football Committee, Don’t Expand The Playoff To Eight Teams

Zach Singer, Sports Writer

Oct. 13, 2013: The day that college football would move on from the BCS (Bowl Championship Series) game and move into a new era with the four team playoff. At the time, excitement was rising through the roof as 2014 commenced the first year of the four team playoff. Two more teams now got their opportunity to win a championship. Expanding to four teams proved to be the right decision as the fourth seed Ohio State went on to win the College Football Championship.

Fast forward to 2018: Sports media has been debating the idea of an eight team playoff. However, expanding the playoff would create unnecessary drama as well as a pointless set of teams who don’t deserve to be competing for a championship opportunity.

The goal of the committee is to pick the four best teams in college football. Bringing in four more to the mix would cause analysts, experts and general college football fans to go crazy, which would make good television. But the goal isn’t to create the best television drama; it’s to pick the best teams in college football. Take this year for example. Hypothetically, if there was an 8 team playoff this year, here’s how it would look:

#1 Alabama Vs. #8 Central Florida

#2 Clemson Vs. #7 Michigan

#3 Notre Dame Vs. #6 Ohio State

#4 Oklahoma Vs. #5 Georgia

On paper those matchups are great. But when one takes a deeper look into it, flaws can be seen from team to team. The new teams that would enter the playoff would be Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan and UCF (Central Florida). Georgia is a two loss team, who lost their conference championship. Talent wise, the Georgia Bulldogs are arguably the best in college football, but an early season upset kicking by LSU knocked them out.  

Ohio State, on the other hand, was too inconsistent throughout the season. This included an embarrassing 29-point loss to Purdue, as well as narrow wins against Maryland, Nebraska and TCU. Michigan, however, was on track for success. The Michigan Wolverines had two opportunities to play top six teams (Notre Dame and Ohio State), and lost both. This proved that they are not capable of being an elite team.

Finally UCF. The Knights have definitely earned respect over the last two seasons, even going as far as self proclaiming themselves “National Champions” after last year’s 13-0 season. They’re 12-0 this season, too, but they do not have one ranked win. The committee talks all about how the most important part is the team’s resume, as stated by Rob Mullens in 2017.  Their best win is against Pitt, 7-6. Though the Pittsburgh Panthers had an impressive season, it’s not a high quality win for UCF.

Not only are these teams flawed, but more upon more teams have cases to be in the playoff. What about Florida? They have two top fifteen wins. What about Washington? They won their conference championship. Texas wants in. They beat Oklahoma, who’s in the playoff. You can’t forget about LSU. They beat a top five team in Georgia. The arguments just become more convincing once you add more teams to the picture.

As of right now, college football is perfect as it stands when it comes to the playoff. In conclusion, the eight team playoff is completely unnecessary and should not be introduced to college football.

Zach Singer, Staff Writer

Never forget that the Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA Finals.