Boys Basketball crushes Golden Valley

Harneet and Jasleen Arora, Copy and Sports Editor

All of the winter sports teams are already halfway through league and are now facing the second half, fighting for a spot in playoffs. The varsity boys basketball team finished off this first half of Foothill league with a big win against Golden Valley this past Tuesday by a score of 64-38.

From the beginning, West Ranch’s defense forced a full lockdown on the Grizzlies’ offense as they only allowed one point in the first quarter. Seniors Robbie Myers and Deaken Stangl dominated down low in the post, while junior Dylan Stuman and senior Alex Grant shot well from behind the three-point line. The Cats made multiple big plays to keep their large lead over the Grizzlies. Everyone worked well as a team, feeding off each other to get easy buckets. Senior Carter Williams made an easy fast-break layup late in the third quarter while junior Cooper Ney was able to draw a foul behind the three-point line at the end of the third quarter and eventually make all three free throws. Frustration in the opposing team resulted in two technical fouls for the Grizzlies which the Wildcats easily converted to points.

“I think we did a nice job of coming out fast and with a lot of effort,” said head coach Ron Manalastas. “I told the players we don’t have very many home games, but when we do we need to play well for our crowd and the Pack. Overall we played well, we played as a team, and we played unselfish.”

Robbie Myers ended the game with a double-double of 11 points and 10 rebounds; Dylan Stuman had 11 points and 3 assists, and Alex Grant had 8 points and 6 rebounds.

Great job Cats! Come out and support the varsity boys basketball team as they take on the Saugus Centurions at Saugus today at 6:30.

Boys Basketball crushes Golden Valley