West Ranch Girl’s Basketball falls to the Golden Valley Grizzlies

Noah Neri, Staff Writer

On Jan. 15, 2018, the West Ranch girls basketball team faced off against the Golden Valley Grizzlies in a league match, losing 34-67.
Golden Valley grabbed an 8-point lead early in the game, but West Ranch brought the score closer and faced a manageable 4-point deficit at the end of the first quarter. In the second quarter though, the Grizzlies began to pull away, and West Ranch went into halftime down 19-27. During the first half, the Wildcats struggled to contain Golden Valley’s Imani McGee, who constantly drove to the hoop and either scored on layups or got fouled and shot free throws.
In the second half, West Ranch came up with a new defensive strategy to contain McGee using a box-and-one with Wildcats guard Carman Winters guarding McGee. While this strategy worked for almost the entire second half, the Cats were unable to stop Golden Valley’s other scoring threats. The score at the end of the 3rd quarter was 44-30. West Ranch only scored four points from then on, losing with a final score of 34-67.
“This is a very young team, and this was a very winnable game,” said Coach Fandino. “I thought we could’ve done a lot differently, especially on the defensive end. We didn’t make the plays that we needed to make.”
Coach Fandino also talked about what he is looking for from the young team, telling The Paw Print, “We need to have players who have grit and work their tail off.” He also gave credit to player Jacqueline Paul “who has some of the most grit on the whole team. She’s a senior and brings a lot of intensity.”
Good luck to the team as they finish off their season. Let’s go Cats!

Noah Neri, Staff Writer

Class of 2022. Rams and Lakers for life. KD ruined the NBA.