Boys Tennis Captains Give Words of Wisdom to Underclassmen

Jasleen and Harneet Arora, Sports Editors

Sam Villa

Sam Villa has definitely made his mark among his teachers and classmates at West Ranch. His vast tennis experience combined with the last four years have given him knowledge he thinks is essential for underclassmen to know as they start their high school experience.

“For younger students at West Ranch, I suggest that you guys live in the moment and try to enjoy every aspect of high school,” said Sam. “Coming to school everyday with all of your friends should be something you look forward to and you should appreciate before, next thing you know, high school is over.”

The past four years have gone by fast, but Sam has made memorable moments that he will never forget.

“My most memorable moment from this season was when my whole team was watching our #3 singles player play get a huge win in the first of three rounds against Granada Hills High School that ended up rallying us to have a great win over that team and over reach expectations,” said Sam.

Fortunately for Sam, his tennis skill has given him the opportunity to continue playing tennis on a club team at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. We wish you the best of luck in the future Sam!

Charlie Spina

Having played tennis competitively for over eight years, Charlie Spina’s talent goes uncontested. A truly powerful player at West Ranch, Spina recalls a very special game against Valencia.

“This was the anticipated match of the year, and, though we unfortunately couldn’t quite get the win, our doubles performed very well, and our #2 singles was able to take out Valencia’s #1. This was my most memorable moment because of our team’s energy on the court. It was that energy and support that gave our last couple matches on what they needed to win.”

Though leaving a legacy behind, Charlie Spina has no doubt that the freshman will be able to continue his legacy and exceed his expectations.

“Though I’ve only practiced along the freshmen squad, I know they have what it takes to continue this team’s amazing and successful legacy,” said Spina. “They’re a very talented and committed group of players, and I would only remind them to keep their heads up and always keep fighting.”

For Spina, his tennis career doesn’t end at West Ranch. He will continue his passion for tennis at Cal Lutheran University.

Good luck Charlie! We know you will make West Ranch proud!