Boys Varsity Basketball is Defeated by Vikings after upsetting Saugus

Jasleen Arora, Sports Editor

On Tuesday, Jan. 14, the boys varsity basketball team tipped off against Valencia but unfortunately struggled to score against the suffocating Viking defense. They took their first loss in league with a score of 89-56. 

Coming off from a stunning win against Saugus last Friday, the Cats were prepared to shock again with a win against Valencia. New Wildcat head coach Sean Bain was so sure, in fact, that a pre-game interview with Signal writer Jack Pollon revealed that this game was going to be a “guaranteed win.” This statement fueled some of the fire in both the Viking players and student section as both the West Ranch and Viking student section took turns chanting insults to each other throughout the game. 

In game play, seniors Jonah El Farra and Clyde Seo proved their experience, ending the game as leading scorers. Going up against Valencia post Kevin Konrad, El Farra had more trouble than usual scoring close to the basket and took a lot of contact down low from Konrad. Seo added in points for the Cats even while receiving intense defensive pressure from the Vikings. Freshman Andrew Meadow also proved to be a force to be reckoned with, putting up double digit points for the Wildcats. He scored the first points of the game and played hard throughout the game even while being down on the scoreboard. 

After a tough loss, the Cats are looking forward to taking a win against Hart this Friday. Make sure to come out and support them at home at 6:30 p.m. Go Cats!