Put Down the iPhone.

Put Down the iPhone.

Jay Park, Staff Writer

It’s a common belief that society views too much down time as something that is frowned upon. We believe that time spent doing nothing is unproductive, inefficient, and boring. Instead we’ve come to rely on our iPhones as a method to get away from boredom, but in reality, it wastes time.

There should be a better alternative to deal with boredom rather than just letting ourselves mindlessly skim through our phones and check messages. The moment you go on your iPhone, you are absorbed into a little to-do list checklist of replying to your friends’ messages, checking their statuses on social media, and or playing games. Time flies by until you become caught up in our conversations with friends, inevitably turning into the deceptive “five more minutes” loop. Just imagine the extra time we would have if we didn’t force ourselves to go on our iPhones when we had nothing to do. Often in school, we daydream of crashing in front of our TV and watching Netflix or play video games, but we all know this time is really just spent on our phones.

If we cut the time we procrastinate using iPhones before and during study, we could drastically save time. This doesn’t mean that we can abandon our iPhones entirely, but we can view this as saving time. The small breaks on our iPhones we have everyday add up over a long course of time. The time spent on getting into our phones and running through our routine apps is the time that could be spent for studying. I feel frustrated whenever I catch myself going on the phone. The sudden change of thoughts distract us from our homework and make it even more difficult to continue it, wasting more time.

The time spent on phones during our schoolwork isn’t the only time that we use iPhones that harm us. Some students have a habit of using phones before going to sleep. The time of sleep is crucial to our body’s biological rhythm. Even if we get eight to nine hours of sleep, if it is any time later than 12 a.m, we will experience backlash effects. The electric lights that illuminate from smartphones, blue light, disrupt the nightly release of the hormone melatonin along with our body’s biological rhythm. As a result, many will feel tired in the morning if we were on our smartphones before we fell asleep. Thus, our attention span and studies are affected throughout the school day.

If you want to avoid frustration of not being able to focus during lessons or of rushing through homework when running short of time, it could be helpful to put down your phone when you don’t have to use it.