More Than Just a Gun

More Than Just a Gun

Jay Park, Web Editor

Recall the last action movie that you’ve watched that had guns in it. The protagonist casually whips out his dual pistols and — bang bang — downs two baddies with his marksman’s aim. Guns are deeply embedded in the American culture, and recent events have proven time and time again how detrimental this status quo is to our society. Aside from guns’ prevalence and glorification in mass media, guns are also horribly misrepresented in them.

We’ve seen this so much we’re desensitized to it. Never have we stopped to think, “wow, that must be excruciatingly painful.” In reality, the bad guy (or good guy) would bleed incessantly from the new hole created by the gunshot. If left untreated, he would die due to hypovolemic shock, or lack of blood delivered to vital organs. Even if he did receive treatment, he would likely lead the remainder of his life as a cripple, regardless of where the bullet landed. All parts of your body have bones, arteries and nerves. A bullet penetrating through any of them is devastating. And most shooting incidents will riddle your body with more than one bullet.

Guns were never built to incapacitate. They were built to kill. This statement has not become any less true since their creation. Anyone who seriously cites the second amendment is blinding themselves to reality. For their own narrow and selfish thoughts, they are willing to let innocent civilians live under the perpetual fear of being shot.

The amendment itself was a short-sighted mistake. Preoccupied by creating a functioning government and nation, the Founding Fathers never foresaw how the smoothbore flintlock musket would evolve into the deadly automatic AR-15. Compared to their Revolutionary War counterparts, modern firearms are hundreds of times more deadly. There was an stunning analysis made by a gun expert, Frederick Watts, who claimed one machine gun with enough ammunition would have single handedly won any battle in the American Revolution.

Furthermore, the phrasing of the sentence “[a] well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed” leans towards the notion that individual firearms were for national security, not personal security.

The straightforward conclusion is that the Second Amendment, and its supporters, are outdated. With only five percent of the world’s population, the United States has 48 percent of the civilian-firearms in the world and 31 percent of the world’s mass shootings, as reported by CNN. It’s an embarrassment to live in such a wealthy and prosperous nation — and worry about being shot by a fellow citizen.

First-world countries with strict gun control like the United Kingdom, Norway and Japan have drastically lower rates of homicide and mass murders. It’s not about the person; it’s about the tools. Modern guns are much too strong for ANY civilian to handle. The first step is to recognize the how incredibly irresponsible it is to allow everyday people to access firearms. After this, we can gradually but surely remove these dangerous weapons from society. And then, America as a nation will live up to its reputation as a strong, safe nation. It will finally get rid of its label as a first-world country with commonplace mass shootings.

• More Than Just a Gun

“The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” Delivers a Magical Second Season

• More Than Just a Gun

Sports

Grading Round 1 of the 2019 NFL Draft (Picks 1-16)

• More Than Just a Gun

Sports

Powderpuff Game Ends with Unexpected Outcome

• More Than Just a Gun

Editorials

Problematic Coachella: How the Largest Music Festival Contributes to the Far-Right’s Agenda

• Sports

Path To The Draft: Meet NFL Draft Prospect Josiah Tauaefa

• Sports

Tiger Woods’ Incredible Comeback

• More Than Just a Gun

Sports

West Ranch Swim Prelims

• More Than Just a Gun

Fashion

The Punk Subculture Emerges at West Ranch

• More Than Just a Gun

Sports

West Ranch Boys Volleyball Destroys Saugus to Continue Undefeated Record

• More Than Just a Gun

News

Heroes vs. Heroines: Assemble!

More Than Just a Gun