Residents of Los Angeles question if Theme Park will Reopen

Justin Litvak, Staff Writer

On Mar. 13, 2020, Six Flags Magic Mountain closed temporarily due to COVID-19. The closure was planned to be for only a couple of weeks, until Mar. 31. However, as of Dec. 4, 2020, the park is still closed. This leaves many people wondering when and if the park will reopen. 

Even though Six Flags Magic Mountain hasn’t reopened, other parks owned by Six Flags have. Six Flags Frontier City in Oklahoma City reopened on June 5. According to the Six Flags website, the park now has new guidelines to keep all visitors and employees safe. The rules for park-goers are: wear a mask, socially distance, and wash and sanitize your hands. The rules for staff are a little more complicated. The staff must get tested for Coronavirus, have their temperature taken when entering and exiting the park, sanitize all the rides, and touch surfaces. Although Six Flags has not confirmed the safety precautions, when Magic Mountain reopens, the precautions may be very similar to the other parks.

Since Six Flags Magic Mountain is located in Los Angeles County, the park will have to follow the county guidelines upon re-opening. According to KTLA5, guidelines for theme parks include a 25% max capacity, mandatory mask-wearing, and social distancing. However, these guidelines are for smaller parks –big parks like Six Flags Magic Mountain are still stuck in the “most restrictive purple tier due to widespread risk of coronavirus transmission.” California Governor, Gavin Newsom, stated in an interview with KTLA5 that “We don’t anticipate in the immediate term any of these larger theme parks opening until we see more stability in terms of the data.”

With all these restrictive guidelines, many residents of Los Angeles County may be wondering if the park will open soon, and if it does, will it still be safe? Jeremy Almedia, a Magic Mountain pass-holder as well as a West Ranch freshman is awaiting the parks reopening. Almedia told the Paw Print ” Yes, I would definitely go back to the park if it reopens.” Almedia also mentioned that he “misses going because I got to hang out with friends and ride rollercoasters and just having a good time in general.” He hopes that once the park does re-open, visitors will wear a face mask and use hand sanitizer while remaining six feet apart from others. Along with hoping visitors will be safe, Almedia also stated that he “feels like the park would be less crowded because it is re-opening, and since Covid-19 is still a risk.”  

Unfortunately, it does not seem like Six Flags Magic Mountain will be reopening anytime soon. With cases of Coronavirus still on the rise, the projected reopening date is unknown at this time. We can only hope that when the park does reopen, everyone who visits will stay safe and healthy. Stay safe Cats!