The Benefits of Self-Care

With the start of the school year, students are afflicted with waves of stress as balancing multiple classes and extracurricular activities can be difficult to handle. As deadlines approach, it may seem that failing under pressure will be inevitable. However, consistent self-care has proven to be able to lighten the stress of an excessive workload.

Freshman Ariana Rasekhi explained her method of self-care:, “I like to incorporate self- care into my life by working out. Whenever my life gets stressful, I like to take time and go on a run. It helps my body stay active and it helps distract me from whatever is on my mind.”

What is Self-Care?

Self-care is an act that can differ for everyone. For some, it could be a mental reset, while for others, it could mean taking time to take care of their physical self. In summary, self care is the practice of caring for one’s personal health using techniques proven to alleviate stress and anxiety.

Wellness Center Coordinator, Ms. Sinclair explained self-care in her own words: “Self- care, to me, is a way to take care of yourself in order to keep going. I look at it like a battery. When it’s completely empty, you have to charge it so in order for you to recharge yourself you need to make sure you take care of yourself.”

Why do Self-Care?

Especially at the beginning of the year, school is at its peak when it comes to stress. The importance of taking time to yourself can be disregarded as a distraction or a waste of valuable time. However, self-care can greatly improve your productivity by reducing your stress levels, giving you a clearer mind.

Self-care routines do not have to be long procedures. It can be small things such as laying aside time to listen to music or taking a break from social media. Starting off with any method, big or small, can ultimately form a routine for whenever life or school becomes challenging.

“There’s only so much you can do. If you are always busy, eventually your body can just get very lethargic and just want to not do anything,” Ms. Sinclair vocalized. “It’s very important to take a day and recover by taking time for yourself.”

If you want to incorporate time to yourself into your daily life but are confused on where to start, here are a few ideas:

Skincare

Having a skincare routine is a good way to take care of not only the skin, but for general well-being. The act of taking care of the skin can help protect it from external harm while also allowing one to spend more time on themselves. Skincare can also significantly affect self-confidence as more time is being put towards caring about oneself. While the thought of doing skincare might seem like a mundane activity, you may be surprised at how enjoyable the routine can be.

For example, using tools like facial rollers and face masks can induce the feeling of self-pampering and can enhance the feeling of relaxation to the routine. Using aromatherapy by lighting some candles or using a diffuser can make the experience more calming and soothing. The whole point of doing skincare is to make it a stress-free way to take care of yourself, so whatever makes you relaxed is recommended.

Lowering Daily Screen Time

Something that is great for your mental health is taking time away from electronic devices and enjoying physical activities or other hobbies. Some pastimes may include creating art, listening to music, reading, baking, working out or spending time with friends. According to the online website, HelpGuide.com, an addiction to social media has been proven to invoke feelings of depression, stress and anxiety.

Sophomore Brianna Machado described her opinion on spending more time off her phone: “I feel like I have more fun and I’m more happy when I’m off my phone. I honestly think that sometimes being on my phone can make me feel worse when I’m already stressed out. It really helps to take a break from my phone and hang out with my friends.”

Spending more time for yourself is crucial towards staying stress-free this school year. Cats, if you are ever stressed out and need help handling any anxious feelings, feel free to visit the Wellness Center in room 421 on campus. Contact [email protected], the Wellness Center coordinator, if you have any questions.