A flash back to the past: a glimpse into older photography

As media today perpetuates a picturesque longing for the past, vintage-style photography has been gaining popularity, especially amongst the younger generation. It is not uncommon for aspiring photographers to experiment with different visual aesthetics, and amid a variety of techniques, the allure of vintage and nostalgic photography remains desired. At West Ranch, numerous students find their passion within photography, utilizing c ameras from the 2000s, 1990s and more.

The 1990s and early 2000s dawned the rise in popularity of digital cameras and disposable or single-use cameras. This was later followed by the decline of these methods due to the introduction of modern smartphones and technology used today. Although social media was a reason for these methods of photography to die down, it is also what currently made these methods trendy again. 

West Ranch Sophomore Annabelle Barriere explained, “Social media reintroduced me to disposable and digital cameras. They give a different feel and aesthetic from the almost perfect-looking pictures that I get from my iPhone and now I almost always take either of my cameras with me everywhere.”

Claire Aguilar,a Junior at West Ranch, shared similar reasons for how she got into using digital cameras. “I used to watch a lot of videos about different digital cameras, which made me remember that much of my early childhood was documented on these types of cameras. Eventually, my parents found their old digital cameras and gave them to me, and that led me into documenting my experiences with those cameras,” Aguilar explained.

Barriere finds herself using both digital and disposable cameras. “My favorite part about digital and disposable cameras is that they still produce high-quality images that can give the same effect as many popular filters on social media,” she revealed. “I find that these cameras are very reliable and the images are easy to upload or can be received quickly.”

The raw, authentic photos created by these “point-and-shoot” cameras tend to draw in Gen Z teenagers like Barrierre. Especially during a time when social media has become saturated with overprocessed, highly filtered posts, digital and disposable cameras can serve as an escape to view the world through a simpler lens.

Digicams are also highly convenient in comparison to traditional cameras. Barriere explained some positive aspects about this way of capturing pictures: “I prefer these methods of photography because they are less expensive than a newer, full-size camera, and everyone knows how to use them with their simplicity. Digital cameras often only have a few settings and are small enough to fit in your pocket, making them perfect to take anywhere.” 

Having a camera that not only produces unique, distinctive photos beyond what can be done on a phone camera but also incorporates portability into its design makes it easy to capture memories in an aesthetically pleasing, quality format. 

Beyond digital cameras, many teens are also opting for Polaroid and instant film cameras, which physicalize the photo-taking process. These cameras, invented in the 1920s, print out a small copy of the photos immediately after one takes them. West Ranch Sophomore Daniela Lesmana explained, “I just love the look of photos from Polaroid cameras with the grainy feel and the white border to the pictures. And the biggest bonus is the fact that the pictures are printed and developed right away; it makes it super easy for me to hang them in my room, create a photo album and put them behind my phone case.”

As Lesmana stated, photos from Polaroid and Polaroid-adjacent cameras have a timeless, nostalgic look that no other type of camera can match. It is a style of photography that is truly unmatched, and the new generation is rediscovering instant cameras in all their glory.

All of these retro alternatives to regular cell phone photography stem from one root cause: a longing for the past. Whether that be childhood memories, older loved ones or even just an appreciation for the culture of earlier decades, the cameras of eras before can serve as a gateway for this generation to experience the past and all the emotions that come with it.

“My favorite part of using digital cameras to record parts of my life is the fact that it feels like a kind of full-circle moment since my parents used these same cameras to record memories from when I was younger,” Aguilar shared. “Even though a lot of time has passed and technology has improved over the years, I get to bring a part of my early childhood with me with my camera.” 

This resurgence of vintage style photography is an important example of how media continues to influence every part of our lives. Through digital, disposable and other photography mediums, students have been able to connect with the authenticity of a simpler time – providing a refreshing alternative to modern cameras. 

Photography of any kind can be a beautiful medium for creative expression and producing tangible memories. Cats, if you have not already, be sure to take advantage of photography and cameras, both old and new, as a tool and find ways to incorporate them into your daily lives.