Day in the life of a blended student

Sabrina Ho, Teachnology and Media Manager

Due to the pandemic, most of the school year has been spent on Zoom through distance learning. As COVID-19 cases decrease, West Ranch students have returned to campus through hybrid learning. They have been split into two cohorts, attending in-person school for two days while learning on Zoom for the rest of the week. Because hybrid learning began during the second semester, students have had to adapt to their new schedule. The Paw Print had a chance to interview Sean Kim, a junior and varsity basketball player at West Ranch, to see what a typical day looks like for a hybrid student.

8:00 a.m.

Because of the commute, Sean wakes up earlier for hybrid learning in order to arrive at school on time. Sean starts his day by brushing his teeth, washing his face and getting dressed for school. He then heads downstairs and eats the breakfast his mom prepares.

8:30 a.m.

Sean comes to school every Monday and Tuesday and goes straight to class, as there is not much time for interacting with other students. 

“Sometimes during Zoom it is sort of uncomfortable asking teachers questions because everyone else is listening during class so it is too much attention on you,” he revealed. “But during class time there is a one-on-one interaction you can have with the teachers and I feel like, since we do not have a chance to go on our phones, we are more focused during class times so we get to absorb more information.”

One of the big changes on campus were the routes created to make a one-way flow of traffic. Sean admits that it takes much longer to get to class, but he realizes it is necessary to ensure the safety of students and staff. 

Being on campus has helped Sean to build relationships with his teachers that he was unable to build on Zoom. He shared one of his experiences with The Paw Print.

“With my computer science teacher, Mr. Burrill, I had never talked to him once over Zoom because I never got the chance. But in person I was able to actually talk to him about our similar interests. I was able to relate with him more and have a chance to form stronger relationships with our teachers,” he said.

11:20 a.m.

Once all his classes are done, Sean heads home where he is always greeted by his dog. He grabs a quick snack and goes right into homework as he knows he has a busy day in front of him. 

2:45 p.m.

After having some time to tackle homework, Sean drives back to school to pick up his younger brother. When leaving school, his brother picks up lunches that the school provides and takes them home to enjoy.

2:00 p.m. 

Amidst his busy schedule, Sean finally takes some time to relax and watch YouTube, play games or talk to his friends. He also continues to work on any more homework he has been assigned.

5:00 p.m.

Sean heads back to school for basketball practice where he gets time to play with his friends. 

“Practice has stayed pretty much the same,” Sean shared. “The only difference is that we have to get COVID tested twice a week or we can not participate in practice or games that entire week.”

8:00 p.m.

After a long practice, Sean is always hungry and eats dinner as soon as he gets home. 

As his day comes to an end, Sean takes a shower and completes any assignments he was not able to finish before. He ends off his night by taking some time to rest,

12:00 a.m.

Following his busy day, Sean goes to sleep to ensure he is ready for the next day.

With the new way of learning, Sean has had to adjust his routine to fit the hybrid schedule. He is happy that he is finally able to come back on campus to interact with his friends and teachers and hopes that the COVID-19 situation will continue to improve.