Passion Projects

West Ranch fosters an encouraging environment where students are inspired to pursue their dreams. However, only the most dedicated take it to the next step by starting a passion project. Some of these projects align with their intended future careers, while others have a sheer interest and personal connection to them. Here are a few West Ranch seniors who have spent the past few years furthering their interests by undertaking a passion project:

Jeremiah Chun (STEM for Kids) 

Jeremiah Chun runs STEM for Kids, an organization that sends students as teachers to local middle and high schools to foster STEM education. 

The club’s focus is rooted in teaching kids coding and robotics, but Chun reiterated that “It’s not only to teach them about the content, but it’s also to help them develop the STEM mindset in general, which includes building critical thinking, problem-solving skills and logical deduction.”

Originally co-founded by his older brother back in 2022, Chun took over the organization after his brother graduated. Under his leadership, the organization took on its biggest initiative yet, helping establish an FLL (FIRST Lego League) robotics team at Rancho Pico Junior High. This involved months of training the students, robot building and preparation to compete at the regional level. 

Junior officer Omkar Guha added, “[Chun] communicates with the local schools and teaches himself. He handles the higher-level organizational things and is really dedicated to teaching the youth STEM.”

However, with Chun graduating soon, he is passing the organization over into good hands, hoping the next year’s officers will continue its growth and expansion into more schools. Chun explained how “This organization was a huge contribution to the liking of [his] major,” which solidified his passion for engineering and computer science, his intended studies during the fall.

Jessica Mai and Kaylin Mai (Tidings for Teens) 

Inspired by their mother’s own experience in the foster system, Jessica and Kailyn Mai co-founded Tidings for Teens, a non-profit organization providing support for foster youth in the Santa Clarita Valley and surrounding areas since 2014. 

Working alongside the help of Kelly Mena, a social worker, and having the Department of Family Services bring in foster kids, the Mai twins are able to make their events possible. 

One of their main events is an annual back-to-school shopping experience where foster kids each receive $100 to shop. Volunteers and donors are also invited, allowing them to witness where their generosity goes. In addition, they host a holiday walk-through event, specifically geared towards providing gifts for teens. Kayiln Mai explained, “This is our event where we specialize mainly with the teens because over the holidays, people usually donate things for the little kids like toys, but nothing really for the teens.” Jessica Mai added, “That’s where we really wanted to step in and fill that gap.”

Recently, they have begun implementing an ambassador program to train underclassmen and expand their reach in the community. Despite heading off to college soon, the sisters hope to take Tidings for Teens “to the stars” in the future. 

Although nursing is both of their intended fields of study, their passion project of supporting foster youth is a calling close to their hearts that they hope to continue for as long as possible.

Keyan Saguibo (Purple Butterfly Club) 

After losing his mother his junior year, Keyan Saguibo founded the West Ranch Purple Butterfly Club, a grief support initiative providing resources and forming support groups in schools around the world. 

The club’s resources are open to anyone in need.Saguibo explained, “It’s mainly support groups and monthly events for anyone to come by because this is a resource that should be available to anybody.” The club connects attendees with professionals equipped to help them through their grief journey.

After obtaining approvals from the district, counselors and wellness centers, Saguibo set confidentiality guidelines to create a safe space for participants to help process their losses.

Saguibo, having “his own personal experiences [with grief and loss], has really aimed to create a safe space and connection to vital resources for others enduring hardships,” Vice Head Director of Purple Butterfly senior Julie Chung added.

Though Saguibo’s academic interests lie in other fields, this passion project allowed him to support others going through difficult times and has become deeply meaningful to him. Even after graduating, he hopes to continue his involvement with Purple Butterfly’s international grief resources “for as long as [he’s] able to,” beyond the associated West Ranch club.

Faith Lawrence (West Ranch Car Show) 

The annual West Ranch Car Show, one of the most popular West Ranch club events and a favorite for hundreds of students on campus, was organized and founded by Faith Lawrence. The car show features student entries alongside showcases from sponsors like West Coast Customs, Porsche and Mercedes.

Lawrence originally started the West Ranch Car Club in her sophomore year with the intention of breaking gender and age stereotypes and proving those who doubted her wrong. “The car industry is usually a very male-dominated space and my mom works in a very male-dominated field so that inspired me too.” She added, “Plus, if someone tells me not to do something, that makes me want to do it more.”

For just a day’s event for students to enjoy, the rigorous planning process involved months of advertising, promotional videos, insurance forms, securing basketball court reservations and coordinating registrations. 

While Lawrence hopes to either pass the car show on for a student or ASB to take over, she is confident it will go on some way or another. However, beyond high school, she plans to join Berkeley’s Formula Racing Club to continue her automotive passion and hopes to start an environmentally-conscious car company after majoring in environmental engineering.