MLK Walk at Central Park

Andrew Hezel, Staff Writer

The City of Santa Clarita celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Jan. 17 with the MLK Unity Walk at Central Park. This year’s theme was “Together We Are Stronger.” 

The celebration began with a speaker program at the Central Park flagpole. The speakers at the event included Santa Clarita Mayor Laurene Weste, Hart District Board Member Dr. Cherise Moore, the William S. Hart School District Board of Trustees, the Co-chair of the Human Relations Roundtable, Singer Anitra King-Ballou, Santa Clarita Chapter NAACP President Valerie Bradford, and West Ranch Senior and Hart District Student Board Member Pratika Prasad. 

As a Hart District Student Board Member, Pratika Prasad was given the chance to speak when Dr. Moore, a Governing Board Member, approached her with the opportunity. “I wanted to talk about the importance of uniting the community, parents, kids, schools, and families under Dr. King’s teachings,” Prasad said.  

The walk had many attendees listening to Dr. King’s teachings and using his ideas as a part of their everyday lives. 

Attendees came for a multitude of reasons but Santa Clarita Resident Mary Heinkind told the Paw Print “I came because I believe it is still very important to respect and remember Dr. King’s legacy.” 

Another walk participant, Tarron Rich, commented, “I came because Martin Luther King made a direct impact on this country, with his views and ideas on equality. He single handedly changed the future of this country.”

There were other events associated with the walk, including a performance by the Valencia High School Drum Core. 

The MLK Unity Walk concluded with a quarter mile walk around Central Park. The walk was very unifying and peaceful, representative of Dr. King’s visions for the future.