Road Trip Rally

Wildcats crowded into the West Ranch gym on Nov. 4th, roaring in excitement, to celebrate the kick-off of winter sports and the achievements of our fall sports. With the fall sports season coming to an end, the winter and spring seasons of sports are soon to begin, supported by the unwavering spirit of students, parents, and staff. Under the theme of “Wildcat Road Trip,” the gym was vibrant with posters and buzzing with cheer. There was an uncontested energy from students that charged the gym as the rally began. 

The West Ranch Choir set this rally into motion by singing the National Anthem. The choir members delivered an exceptional performance, showcasing their vocal abilities. The gym soon filled with thunderous applause and ovations. The rally continued with a special performance from a vocal group of students and Ms. Peters, the choir advisor, strumming the guitar in a sweet, melodic tune.

Soon after, Coach Varner, the West Ranch head football coach, made his way through the student sections holding the iconic spirit helmet and initiating the cheer-off. The freshmen embraced the jungle wilderness, sophomores represented the deserts, juniors embodied the snowy mountains, and the seniors portrayed a beach concept. Each student section boomed, all trying their best to claim the crown, but once again the seniors swept the victory.

From the vivid decorations and the coordinated themes, the room was filled with a vibrant atmosphere, demonstrating the dedication of ASB’s effort to every detail and ensuring an unforgettable rally event. ASB President Esi Otoo shared the process of orchestrating a rally, emphasizing the preparation process: “It is extremely difficult. We start preparing ideally three weeks in advance by assigning each class their side theme and making posters.” 

Following the cheer-off, the students were informed by the emcees of our athletic triumphs from our teams this season. With a sense of honor, Principal Fisher expressed the recognition and excellence of the teams. “The excitement and the feeling of pride in our sports teams making it to the playoffs on a consistent basis, I think it is important to highlight that.” 

The West Ranch Cheer team then presented a jaw-dropping spectacle and showcased their hard work. Known for their award-winning performances, the members exhibited their burning devotion to cheer. They displayed a multitude of stunts, back and front flips, cartwheels, and more, truly going the extra mile to awe the crowd.

From there, the emcees introduced this rally’s activity, which involved two representatives from each grade level participating in a scavenger hunt. The representatives dashed back to their sections, retrieved their designated items, and handed them off to the hosts. The first item was a hair tie, all the grade levels rushed to their student sections, but surprisingly the freshman came out victorious, securing the first point.

After the freshman’s unexpected victory, the renowned West Ranch Dance Team took the stage with their powerful choreography. Each move showed unrivaled enthusiasm with gracefulness, stunning the audience with every move. With hard work and perseverance, the team brought an elaborate performance.

The second round of the scavenger hunt then commenced, with the second item being a hat. The students scurried to present the found items, all scrambling to get a hat from their sections. Although the freshmen had a lead, the seniors, desperate to get a point, rushed, risking life and limb to be the first to hand the hat over. They were able to acquire their first point to level the playing field against the ninth graders. 

With the seniors taking the victory, the next set of performers was the hip-hop dance team. The hip-hop team reinvigorated the school spirit by setting the stage on fire with their powerful moves. The performance received massive praise for its precise and dynamic choreography. 

The last segment of the scavenger hunt commenced with the ultimate item: Crocs. The race unleashed an intense frenzy; this was the last chance for a point, and Crocs even came flying out of the bleachers. Though neck and neck between each class, the seniors prevailed once again, locking in the win. When asked her favorite part of being an emcee, senior Taylor Lankford replied, “My favorite part of this rally was the activities because the entire crowd got engaged and it was really fun to see our class [of 2024] win a lot.”

With the rally coming to a close, the final show was from the West Ranch Drumline. A group of students came forward, setting the beat for the others. As each strike produced a powerful pulse, ASB president Esi Otoo expressed her admiration for the execution. When asked her favorite part of the rally, she said: “Drumline.“If I can’t pick my own performance, then I’d say drumline.” As emphasized by Otoo their synchronized rhythmic precision paired with the rumbling energy of the students made the perfect pair leaving the perfect lasting impression of the rally. 

Remember Cats, if you see our fall season athletes, make sure to congratulate them!