Wildcats Represent Awareness Against Cancer

West Ranch’s ASB hosted a Cancer Awareness Spirit Week from Oct. 17 to Oct. 20, where students and staff wore a different color each day to represent types of cancer. To emphasize the importance of this spirit week, Wildcats Against Cancer (WAC) advisor Mrs. Clewis explained, “It informs people of the struggles [of the disease and its effects], creates a more empathetic society, and helps people become more aware of the risks and how to lead a healthy lifestyle themselves.” 

On Tuesday, students and staff wore yellow for sarcoma cancer. Math and engineering teacher Mrs. Brosche, who participated in Tuesday’s spirit day, explained, “I think everyone is aware of cancer, but I think it’s good to remind everybody how prevalent it is and how many different types there are to keep students aware. Maybe they’re the ones who are going to find the cure.”

West Ranch juniors Daniel Jin, Natalie Merchant, and Tashvi Ratnani

Students and staff wore green on Wednesday to demonstrate their awareness for liver cancer. When asked about how she felt about seeing students participate, Mrs. Brosche responded, “I appreciate that students are paying attention to this very modern problem and hopefully we can come up with modern solutions.”

Thursday brought even more excitement: the school’s football team played against Castaic in the last league game of the season. During brunch and lunch, ASB sold Pink Out shirts for $5, giving students the opportunity to rep breast cancer awareness while sporting school spirit. Both the Pink Out shirt and other various pink garments were worn both to school and to the football game. 

Finally, on Friday, ASB encouraged staff and students to wear orange for leukemia awareness. A common sight on campus that day was bright orange clothing worn by Wildcats and teachers in solidarity against leukemia. With the spirit week’s high overall turnout, WAC President and West Ranch senior Jadyn Tunnell expressed, “It helps cancer patients know that they’re not alone [and] it lets them know that they have people they can reach out to. It lets them know that they have a support system and that everyone wants to see them succeed and get better.” Through her club, Tunnell has been a leader in the West Ranch community in the fight against cancer.

In reflection, Tunnell explained, “Reach out, talk to people, learn more about the disease, do your research. There are so many different opportunities and events such as Relay For Life that you can go to. Just show your support in all sorts of ways.”