The Impact of No Food Delivery Services

The 2023-24 school year came with a new district-wide policy prohibiting students from ordering food deliveries to campus. According to West Ranch leadership, this rule was created out of concern for students’ safety and ability to concentrate in the classroom. The previous semester provided an opportunity to assess how the newly established policy impacted West Ranch students and staff.

For many years, food deliveries have been a recurring problem, with students’ food orders being turned away and sent back at the main campus gate. This inconvenience has resulted in a loss of both money and food. Until this rule was formally put into action, students were constantly advised against placing delivery orders to campus.

When discussing the new policy, West Ranch Principal Mr. Fisher explained, “Having food deliveries was definitely a big distraction in the classroom. Our goal is to limit the number of distractions in the classroom and maximize our instructional time.” Due to the nature of these food deliveries, some students would leave the classroom for extended periods of time in order to pick up their deliveries at the front gate. The interruption caused by deliveries during class time was an inconvenience for teachers. 

In addition, food deliveries have raised safety concerns because they are often conducted by people whom the students do not know, putting students at risk for potential danger. Mrs. Plugge claimed that “the Department of Justice [is concerned] over the fact that there is no form of formal screening in order to become a delivery driver.” The risks and potential dangers of food deliveries are occurrences that  West Ranch faculty and students would like to avoid.

The new policy was met with mixed reactions by students. “I have a night class that used to be from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., [but] now it’s from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.,” West Ranch junior Sebastian Falabella commented. “This is right around my dinner time, so my friends and I would always order food to eat.” Students like Falabella have previously relied on deliveries for their meals. However, even they recognize the drawbacks of food deliveries and advise students to try other options. Similarly to both Mr. Fisher and Mrs. Plugge, Falabella explained how “upperclassmen who have their license[s] and off-campus [passes] can leave during lunch with their friends to buy food themselves. Underclassmen should give the free school food and the vending machine snacks a try.” 

Although food deliveries are no longer permitted on school grounds, students still have access to multiple alternatives that many have already turned to since the implementation of the new policy. Picking up a free school lunch, driving to buy food with an off-campus pass and purchasing snacks from the vending machine are all reliable options. As Mrs. Plugge emphasized, “The resources – such as a school lunch or a lunch from home – are always there and the matter of convenience is never worth the risk of it.”