La La Land Prom 2024

On Saturday, April 27, Wildcats danced the night away at the 2024 “La La Land” themed prom. Chaperones, students and guests had the opportunity to enjoy food, music, dancing and a coronation outside of a school setting. However, this event did not come together overnight; West Ranch ASB diligently planned prom for several months, carefully perfecting every detail. Having played a critical role in the success of this event, Junior Class President Kayla Patel emphasized the time and dedication ASB put in for prom: “We’ve been working in a prom committee since October, with weekly meetings and of course our visit to the venue. We’ve managed social media, ticket sales and advertising for local businesses at the prom exposition.” 

Although prom is an event open to both juniors and seniors, it is especially memorable for seniors as their time at West Ranch comes to a close. When asked why going to prom is so important, ASB Advisor Mrs. Priske expressed, “It’s like a rite of passage. [Even] our parents went to senior prom, and it’s such a celebratory event.” With seniors graduating in less than a month, prom is one of the last events before the end of high school. . 

Prom was not just a night, but rather a day full of fun. The Paw Print broke down the day and detailed the getting-ready process, promenade and night itself.

12:00 p.m.:

Starting as early as noon, prom attendees worked hard to create their ‘picture-perfect’ looks. From hair and makeup to ties and shoes, no detail was missed. Some made trips to local florists for boutonnieres and corsages. Many students chose to get ready in groups, turning the preparation into its own event. Senior Isha Santhosh described, “We were helping each other get our dresses on and gave each other input on how to do our makeup, and it made the whole process so much more fun.” With music playing, supplies on the floor and frantic loved ones rushing to help, many friend groups enjoyed the chaos of dressing up for the night.

3:30 p.m.:

Many attendees chose to take pictures with their friends and dates at local parks. The sunny weather and clear skies provided a warm backdrop for photos. With many unique poses and backgrounds, students captured countless prom memories with family, friends and dates. 

4:30 p.m.:

Once pictures were taken, students headed to the West Ranch campus to begin their prom experience. After checking in, crowds of students gathered in the gym, excited to walk out on the red carpet at the promenade. Groups of friends exchanged compliments and hugs, furthering the anticipation of what was to come. Many students met their teachers and enjoyed getting to know them outside of the classroom setting. Mrs. Priske revealed her favorite part about prom: “Everyday, staff and teachers, here we’re working with students, and we’re sometimes having to deal with discipline [matters], but on prom night, everybody is so dressed up, there’s a whole different demeanor for students when they’re in a tuxedo or a really pretty dress and it’s just fun to see them be all glamorous.” Because of the formal dress code, all attendees came dressed to impress.

5:30 p.m.:

In continuing with West Ranch tradition, more than 800 attendees lined up to walk down the red carpet at the promenade. Excited family and friends waited for the chance to take pictures and videos of their beloved students. West Ranch Principal Mr. Fisher announced every name, even giving special shoutouts to those who have succeeded as student leaders throughout the school year. 

6:00 p.m.: 

With the help of West Ranch staff and chaperones, students boarded 16 buses and began their journey to Los Angeles Center Studios, the prom venue. The hour-long ride was full of talking, laughing and games. “Honestly I wasn’t sure if the bus ride would be fun but we started playing charades and many kids started joining in,” Santhosh recalled. “The hour on the bus flew by and the fun started even before prom did.”

7:00 p.m.:

As buses arrived at the venue in the evening, students were able to explore the location and eat dinner. A spread of food was available, with options like salad, pasta and chicken. The lower floor of the venue included a large dance floor equipped with lights, a stage and a view of the city. A short walk downstairs led to a theater with the themed movie “La La Land” playing. The upper floor was filled with tables and chairs that allowed many to take a break from dancing and walking in their formal shoes. A photobooth with props gave students the chance to get a print reminder of the night. A large room with poker, roulette and blackjack was a spot to enjoy playing games with friends. A live jazz band provided a warm ambiance in the game room, fitting the theme of the night. Patel remarked, “The jazz band was awesome, and the fact that there was seating available to watch made it even more perfect.” Additionally, to keep students hydrated and refreshed throughout the night, there were many drink stations; from soda to lemonade and iced tea, there was something for everyone.

9:30 p.m.:

At 9:30, it was time for the Prom Royalty coronation. Attendees lined up to watch the ceremony happen on a balcony. The 2024 Prom Court included Taylor Borkowski, Mark Boss, Logan Geniec, Beaumee Hahn, Jacob Han, Kishneet Kaur, Taylor Lankford, Brennan Leem, Victor Najera, Da’Nae Reaves and Ava Siano. After a very anticipated reveal, Mr. Burrill and Ms. Feinkind announced the new prom royalty as Mark Boss and Kishneet Kaur. “Being nominated and winning prom queen felt incredibly rewarding. It was unexpected, and I was genuinely surprised when my name was called,” Kaur reminisced. 

As junior president, Patel crowned both winners to celebrate the end of the prom planning process and the success of ASB’s hard work. The crowd erupted into applause to celebrate the new king and queen. “I felt that there was a whole mood set and we successfully got the LA vibe from the movie,” Patel reflected.

11:00 p.m.:

The last songs were played as students prepared to leave the venue. At 11:00, chaperones waved the final students goodbye and the last bus left for West Ranch. Kaur expressed, “Looking back on this day, I’ll remember it with joy and happiness. Being surrounded by people I genuinely enjoy was a gift.” After a long night of food, dance and fun, seniors were left with sweet memories of their final prom.