Winter Jazz Concert

Photos by: Elaine Kim

West Ranch students and families gathered in the school’s theater on Friday, Dec. 1,   for the annual Winter Jazz Concert. The stage lights dimmed and musicians dressed in concert black rushed to their places. The jazz band was ready to perform.

To begin the night, The Lab Jazz Band played their set that included “Minor Mystery” by Ellen Rowe, “Tu Valor” by Michele Fernández, “Ace of Hearts” by Patty Darling and lastly “Mr. V” by Camilla Vaitaitis. The lighthearted ambiance of the theater was perfectly combined with the smooth rhythms of jazz that erupted from each student, embracing the ears of each audience member.

“I enjoyed all the solos because it was very exhilarating and entertaining, and as an audience member, it is very fun to listen to the jazz bands play because they are energized and it makes me feel energized as well,” audience member Josephine Adames-Baena expressed.

When the Lab Jazz band finished, Studio A took the reigns and continued with their set consisting of “Weingarden’s Blues” by Tim McKay, “Moving Along” by Joe Di Fiore, “Rumination Blues” by Kyle Myers and “Kidz Bop” by Sam Greenfield, arranged by Brian Leff. Since the jazz director, Mr. Leff, hired composers to come in for the Studio A jazz band; all four pieces were personally written for these students. 

The jazz players were seen rhythmically tapping their feet and nodding their heads as the soulful tunes flowed through the room. Tenor saxophonist Tej Rajyagor described his experience as a soloist: “At first it was really nerve-racking, but after a while, you get pretty used to it and it just becomes enjoyable.”

During the breaks between each piece, Mr. Leff emphasized the different emotions a listener can feel during a song. “Some music pieces usually take the listener through all the different emotions that the composer was feeling when they wrote the piece or during a point in their life,” Mr. Leff explained. “I think all music can connect with people and allow listeners to see the life of a musician, so I think it is cool that music has the ability to affect people in different ways.”  

At the end of the performance, loud cheers filled the theater while the musicians stood proudly facing the audience. All in all, the Studio A and Lab Jazz Band played wonderful melodies and showed their clear dedication that night. 

Come visit the Westfield Valencia Mall on Dec. 9 at 11:00 a.m. to hear Studio A play pop and holiday hits!