Scholarships for Students

Haley Choe, Staff Writer

According to the 2015-16 National Postsecondary Student Aid Study, 63.3 percent of undergraduate students received some type of college grant. These funds would include either scholarships or tuition waivers from federal, state, institutional or private sources.

Scholarships provide an opportunity for many people to receive an education. Without financial assistance from an outside source, many students may have trouble paying for the further education they need in order to enter specific workforces.

Caleb Georgeson, a 2019 high school graduate, explained that applying for and earning scholarships has allowed him to have more time to focus on his studies. 

“College is super expensive, and most people have to work long hours to be able to afford to go to school,” he voiced. “I work a part-time job right now, but I can’t imagine how stressful it would be to work even more.”

He went on to say, “Scholarships kind of saved my life. I have a lot more flexibility with my schedule, and I am so thankful that applying to scholarships was even an option.”

Jamie Bolosky, a junior at West Ranch, expressed that having the opportunity to apply to scholarships is “a burden being lifted.” She added, “It will help me pave the way for me to better myself, have a career that I am proud of, help people in their time of need, and help support my family. It will push me and give me the motivation to work even harder to excel in college.”

Ashlyn Richard, a West Ranch sophomore, stated, “I have 7 siblings, so going to college and asking my parents to pay for my education is something that will be a challenge for my family. I will definitely be applying to as many as I can and knowing that there are so many scholarships available is great.”

Although many scholarship application deadlines for seniors have passed, the class of 2022 can look forward to applying to these local scholarships in the future.

The Santa Clarita Valley Scholarship program offers scholarships for graduating seniors of William S. Hart Union High School District. Requirements for this scholarship include: attending at least the 11th and 12th grades in the William S. Hart Union High School District, having at least a 2.0 GPA and planning on continuing your education, and providing a typed essay (350 words) addressing the writing prompt. Awards range between $550-$4,000 to fund a college education. The window to apply for this scholarship is closed for current seniors, but applications for the class of 2022 will be available on Dec. 1, 2021. Check out scvsf.org for more details.

The Santa Clarita Artists Association Scholarship is available to graduating high school seniors with plans for continuing their education in the visual arts field. Examples of students’ original work (or photos if some originals are not available) are requested to apply. Work submitted should consist of both classwork and work produced independently. Awards range from $1,000, $750, and $500. The deadline for this year’s students is now closed but will be open for next year’s seniors to consider. Check out santaclaritaartists.org for more information.

The Santa Clarita Valley Association of California School Administrators (SCV ACSA) is a formal group of elementary, junior high, and high school administrators from all school districts in the Santa Clarita Valley. Their scholarship is designed to provide for the future, as well as, to connect with the past. To apply, applicants must have attended SCV schools for at least seven years, including at least one year at a public elementary school in the Santa Clarita Valley, must have already applied for admittance into a trade school, community college, and/ or four-year college/ university, and must have a current underweighted GPA of at least a 2.5. Applications will be due on April 30, 2021. Contact Assistant Principal Matt Hinze ([email protected]) with any questions. 

Zonta International is a global organization, with multiple city chapters, that believes that young women are the key to women’s advancement in the field of public service. The Santa Clarita Zonta Young Woman in Public Affairs Award recognizes young women for demonstrating leadership skills and commitment to public service and civic causes and encourages them to continue their participation in public and political life. The scholarships are distributed to 16 to 19-year-olds who attend local high schools or colleges. First, second, and third place winners will be rewarded. Applications are due April 30, 2021. Check out scvzonta.org for more information. 

California Credit Union will award 20 scholarships of $1,000 each to students who are motivated in their academic endeavors, active in their schools, and give back to others through their participation, service and volunteer work within their local communities. Applicant requirements include: being a resident of Los Angeles, Riverside, San Diego, and Orange Counties, being a college-bound high school senior or community college student transferring to a four-year university, and having a minimum 3.0 GPA. Applications are closed for current seniors, but the class of 2022 will be able to apply early next year. Visit ccu.com for more facts.

The College Board Opportunity Scholarship program rewards every 11th-grade student for following six steps that align directly with the college planning process. By doing things like filling out the FAFSA and exploring college and scholarship opportunities online, students are entered a raffle. $500 scholarships are drawn monthly between January of their junior year through February of their Senior year. Check out opportunity.collegeboard.org for more details.

Students should continue to look at the West Ranch Daily Bulletin, Naviance, and websites like scholarshipowl.com to find ongoing scholarships. Whether you get all the scholarships you apply for or not, finding scholarship opportunities well ahead of their application deadlines will give you adequate time to prepare, and give you more chances at being awarded free money to help pay for college expenses.