Students and Staff Gather Together for Lunch Bunch

On Sept. 27 and 28, West Ranch’s ASB organized its quarterly Lunch Bunch event, to acknowledge the academic efforts and achievements of select students. 

Teachers, and the two students they chose, walked into the library, where they were greeted with fall-themed decorations and a wide variety of Jersey Mike’s sandwiches. The room buzzed with small talk and chatter as everyone exchanged greetings and found a table with their students.   

Once the event began, each teacher took a moment to talk about the two students they had chosen to accompany them to Lunch Bunch. Teachers applauded their students for various traits including hard work, dedication, active participation, positive attitudes and conscientious efforts to improve their academic lives. Some discussed how their shared interest in certain activities helped build better bonds with their students. After each teacher spoke, they took a photo with their two chosen students.

Lunch Bunch is a unique way for teachers to acknowledge students outside of the classroom. “Teachers get to talk about their students to their peers instead of just handing out a piece of paper of recognition,” said photography and yearbook teacher Mrs. Kornfield. “It’s a more personal way to deliver this message.”

The students on the receiving end also had a sense of pride. “It felt pretty great to be recognized for my actions, and it was really nice to hear good things about myself,” expressed freshman Owen Hess.

While students have many opportunities to interact with their teachers during class, this occasion provided a rare chance for them to meet outside of the classroom. Whether it was a common hobby or a shared interest, both students and teachers found something to bond over as they came to know one another on a more personal level. 

Math teacher Mrs. Preach explained, “Sometimes, I think we forget that although I’m the teacher and they’re the student, we’re still all human and we all want to get to know each other on a different level.”

There will be more exciting and fun events like Lunch Bunch before the end of the school year. Wildcats, keep up the great work for a chance to be recognized!