West Ranch students volunteer at Rancho Pico Dance

Rancho Pico Junior High School hosted their spring dance, the “Rodeo Roundup”, on the evening of April 26. The “Wild West” themed dance offered students many different activities, such as the root beer float bar, nacho bar and country musical chairs game. Wildcats from various organizations and groups like Key Club and National Honors Society attended the event as volunteers. From organizing scavenger hunts to regulating line control, West Ranch students had the opportunity to help out Rancho Pico ASB in various ways. Among those who volunteered were freshman Sofia Isabel Yuvienco and junior Allison Baek. 

Having older, more experienced mentors provided the ASB students at Rancho Pico an opportunity to learn and grow as leaders. “I think it is wonderful because they can see your maturity level and there is a higher expectation. When you guys ask questions it forces them to communicate better,” Mrs. Carpenter, the Rancho Pico ASB Director, explained.

Volunteering also had many positive benefits for the West Ranch students who attended. After working at the root beer float station and helping out at several other stations throughout the event, Yuvienco also expressed her thoughts on how the event impacted her, as well as Rancho Pico ASB: “It benefits me because I get to have fun and then it also benefits Rancho Pico because it helps them and the teachers don’t have to work harder.”

Prior to volunteering at Rancho Pico, Baek has participated in other volunteering activities such as teaching Korean to children. Her role as the West Ranch Key Club vice president gives her opportunities to get hours by participating in a variety of community service activities.

Yuvienco, who managed the lasso and ring toss activity at the “Rodeo Roundup” dance, shared her thoughts on the event overall: “This dance was so much fun and I thought it was fun helping out the little kids.” 

After a successful dance that gave Rancho Pico students the chance to participate in fun, exciting activities, Mrs. Carpenter extended her thanks to all of the West Ranch volunteers who helped the event run smoothly. “I think it’s great, it really makes my job a little bit easier and it’s a great example for [Rancho Pico students]; I just enjoy having you guys here.”

Cats, if you want to participate in fun, volunteering events similar to the Rancho Pico spring dance, you can join volunteering clubs around campus such as Key Club, or look out for these events on social media!