Santa Clarita’s weekly farmers market

The bustling atmosphere of the Santa Clarita Farmers Market attracts customers with the aroma of produce and flowers. Every Sunday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., College of the Canyons hosts an outdoor produce market to deliver quality goods and a breath of fresh air to the people of Santa Clarita Valley. Farmers, bakers and even chefs can bring their organic goods into the market for the people of SCV to buy.

Working in the farmers market industry does have its challenges. Standowner Malik Azouz explains, “There’s a lot that goes into preparation for this, [such as] preparing everything from the produce to packaging and labeling everything, prepping the van and putting up ice.” Despite the difficulty, vendors still approach their work with a commitment to please their customers. “It was very nice seeing all the products and thinking about how [the vendors] made it all by themselves and packaged everything,” West Ranch freshman Kirsten Luna said. “Their products were organic and fresh.”  Because of the quality of these products, many customers like Luna are left satisfied and fulfilled. 

Some business owners have to wake up as early as 3:30 a.m. to pack and get everything ready, according to a salesman of Old Town Baking Company. To ensure that everything goes smoothly, vendors began setting up their booths several hours in advance. When packing and preparing to open up the stand for the day, they prioritize making their displays stand out because they influence customer first impressions and need to attract attention. As a result, when it is time to open, customers are greeted with vibrant arrays of merchandise.

Vendors also take the time to prepare fresh goods before the market opens, such as bread, eggs and fruits sourced globally. The owner of Epinosa Farms, Richard Epinosa, describes what is on his stand: “I’m selling citrus right now [such as] Japanese navel oranges, mandarins and cara cara oranges.” Using the same fruit, Epinosa also makes jams and jellies from scratch, which he explains takes “about a half an hour to 45 minutes.” This guarantees reliability and flavor for his customers and better yet, as he states, “at a good price.”

Aside from the friendly community, loyal customers also realize that purchasing products from a farmers market is more environmentally friendly and authentic than going to a grocery store. Buying products from farmers markets guarantees that buyers are getting a delicious and sustainable bite. These benefits allow vendors to take pride in their work and culture.

There is so much that goes into such a small event. From the memorable stands to the delicious food, the Santa Clarita Farmers Market is both unique and welcoming.